D6 De{*word*81} acting strangely after MS Framework .NET installed

2004-01-14 01:34:56 AM
delphi191
I had to install MS Framework .net to run some backup software a few
weeks ago on my Win2k machine (service pack 2). But now the D6
de{*word*81} is acting strangely. A simple statement like:
A := 'abc' + OldStr + 'def';
is now producing '#0#0#0...def'. (It is inserting #0 in the front of
the string.) I am pretty sure this has happended the last time
Framework .net was installed on my machine. After I uninstalled it,
the de{*word*81} worked fine.
Has anyone else noticed problems with Framework .net and Delphi 6?
TIA
Brent
(e-mail me if you can. Thanks)

Re:D6 De{*word*81} acting strangely after MS Framework .NET installed

Brent writes:
I had to install MS Framework .net to run some backup software a few
weeks ago on my Win2k machine (service pack 2). But now the D6
de{*word*81} is acting strangely. A simple statement like:

A := 'abc' + OldStr + 'def';

is now producing '#0#0#0...def'. (It is inserting #0 in the front of
the string.) I am pretty sure this has happended the last time
Framework .net was installed on my machine. After I uninstalled it,
the de{*word*81} worked fine.

Has anyone else noticed problems with Framework .net and Delphi 6?
I'm not seeing this behavior on a Win2K SP4 machine.
Regards,
Steve
--
Please visit our online support pages at
www.borland.com/devsupport/

"Stephen Blas (Borland)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
:Brent writes:
:>I had to install MS Framework .net to run some backup software a few
:>weeks ago on my Win2k machine (service pack 2). But now the D6
:>de{*word*81} is acting strangely. A simple statement like:
:>
:>A := 'abc' + OldStr + 'def';
:>
:
:I'm not seeing this behavior on a Win2K SP4 machine.
:
:Regards,
:Steve
Steve,
Thanks for the quick reply. I noticed the problem only occurs
in this function when I assign the value to Result as in:
Result := 'ABC' + OldStr + 'def';
if I assign the expression first to local variable like A, then A has
the correct value. But if I now assign A to Result, Result has #0#0#0
and a passed parameter (call by value) is cleared. So it looks like
some sort of memory problem with the de{*word*81}. I should point out that
this problem is only related to how the de{*word*81} displays variables.
If I use a ShowMessage(Result) statement, it has the correct value.
I seem to recall having a similar problem with a VB(Visual Basic) script de{*word*81}
after installing MS Framework .NET. I had to uninstall Framework to
get it working again.
I may do the same again. :(
Brent

Re:D6 De{*word*81} acting strangely after MS Framework .NET installed

Ok, I found the problem. I blew away the watch variables and the
de{*word*81} started working properly again. :)
Brent