Re: INTRAWEB

2005-09-27 12:56:56 AM
delphi158
>Be sure that you have started the standalone application on your
>server first of course.

How do I do that?? I am using 1 and 1 and they dont provide shell
access
If you are compiling an IW standalone, you must have access to the
machine to either run the standalone, or install the service.
Otherwise, you must compile to ISAPI or DSO and use IIS or Apache.
--
Jason Southwell
www.arcanatech.com

Re: INTRAWEB

>Be sure that you have started the standalone application on your
>server first of course.

How do I do that?? I am using 1 and 1 and they dont provide shell
access
BTW, Please do read the manual. Deployment was covered very well in
the manual last time I checked.
--
Jason Southwell
www.arcanatech.com
Delphi & IntraWeb Components
Consulting and Contracting
Incident Based Support

Re: INTRAWEB

Because most of my work is pure application stuff, I have never worried too
much about efficiency when doing the odd web site - someone gives me the
HTML and I put the database behind it using standard WebBroker methodology
with PageProducers and Actions.
However, I seem to be doing more of it and playing around with the HTML as
well. This I do in DreamWeaver, then open the file in Notepad, copy the HTML
into a PageProducer and then grab bits of the code for iteration where
necessary and adding in custom tags. Not too much trouble if you get the
HTML right first time, but having to go back, add new columns to tables etc.
makes the whole thing an absolute 'pita' and an easy way to introduce
errors.
I only have Delphi 7 Pro, so no WebSnap to consider, but I started playing around
with Intraweb (in the form that comes as standard with D7) and having
quickly discovered the HTML Layout Editor, it seems that this type of
integrated approach is just what I need.
So, a couple of questions:
1. Assuming that I was dealing with a very simple web site layout, what are
the pros and cons of using Intraweb as opposed to the standard WebBroker
methodology with PageProducers and Actions?
2. On the basis that the HTML Layout Editor appears to be nowhere near as
featured as DreamWeaver, are later versions of Intraweb more sophisticated?
3. Should I look at other ways of creating database driven web sites?
Thanks.

Re: INTRAWEB

3. Should I look at other ways of creating database driven web sites?
I like to use sql stored procs to format data/html. These stored procs are
invoked by my isapi app under the control of PageProducer #tags embedded in
the html pages. This allows my customer to control all of the html - both
the containing pages and the data-driven stuff - without my needing to
change any compiled Delphi code.
dpw