RealThinClient SDK for Linux - option TWO

How to make the RealThinClient SDK for Linux happen?
My first idea was to find enough people to financially support the
development and then go to "www.rentacoder.com" and find a developer who
would make the port, but it turns out that this is the wrong way for making
a community project happen:
www.realthinclient.com/forum/
Now ... since Open Source is all about free code and community efforts (and
the RTC SDK for Delphi/Win32 is Open Source), it might be easier to organize
a community project with a team of developers working on their free time
because they want to have a Linux version of the RTC SDK.
If you are one of the people who would like to have the RTC SDK ported to
Linux (FreePascal/Lazarus) and want to contribute (for example, port parts
of the existing code to FreePascal/Lazarus for Linux), please contact me by
E-Mail with some info about yourself, your Linux experience and your
thoughts on how you can make yourself useful (Admin E-Mail):
www.realthinclient.com/contact.htm
Developers who contribute to the Linux version of the RTC SDK will be
offered (A) a free 12-month subscription for the RTC Portal VCL Bronze (
www.realthinclient.com/about_rt.htm ), and (B) a chance to become
part of the RTC Team and be the first to get their hands on RTC Forms, a
Cross-platform RAD (visual) N-Tier Application Development Framework for
Delphi - which is currently under development (no website available yet).
Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec, Team RTC
www.realthinclient.com

Re:RealThinClient SDK for Linux - option TWO

This may be the better option Danijel.
I'd like to follow the development and maybe help with some documentation
tasks.
--
Malcolm
Townsville, Australia
[...]

Danijel Tkalcec writes:
I think this is a better approach to get RTC on Linux.
Now ... since Open Source is all about free code
Nowhere is it stated that Open Source equates to free (as in no charge)
code. Unfortunately, this is what the world at large has come believe
and, IMO, has damaged the software industry.
Of course this is just my opinion, and since I don't want your thread
to devolve into an Open Source flame-war debate, I will just leave it at
that.
--
Kevin Powick

Kevin Powick writes:
Nowhere is it stated that Open Source equates to free (as in no
charge) code. Unfortunately, this is what the world at large has
come believe and, IMO, has damaged the software industry.
I am not sure it has damaged the SW industry.
It may have altered the lanscape a lot, as there are those groups and
companies still earning money out of opensource, it is a big paradigm
shift.
As far as individual developer is concerned, yes, open source is
nowadays mostly the same as free. But, support isn't.
And, one auickly finds out that having the source code isn't enough.
You need time to fiddle around it.
For companies it is even more acute: Who do you turn to when one of
developers (who wrote a lot of core functionality) leave?
In short, having the source is good --against the unimaginable--, but
no one with any wisdom would consider that enough. Enough to not pay
for support.
Of course this is just my opinion, and since I don't want your thread
to devolve into an Open Source flame-war debate, I will just leave it at
that.
Me neither.
But, I think it was a wise decision to make RTC SDK open source. It
will pay off in the long run. Same goes for making it available on
other platforms.

Re:RealThinClient SDK for Linux - option TWO

I have sent an E-Mail to the "fpc-devel" FreePascal mailing list a few days
ago and have not received a single reply yet. Now, I have also sent the
E-Mail to the "fpc-pascal" mailing list and to all licensed RTC SDK users
(except those who have spam filters). If there won't be enough people
interested and willing to contribute (financially or by coding), I will
dismiss the idea of making the RTC SDK for FreePascal/Lazarus.
Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec, Team RTC
www.realthinclient.com

Re:RealThinClient SDK for Linux - option TWO

Danijel Tkalcec submitted this idea :
I have sent an E-Mail to the "fpc-devel" FreePascal mailing list a few days
ago and have not received a single reply yet. Now, I have also sent the
E-Mail to the "fpc-pascal" mailing list and to all licensed RTC SDK users
(except those who have spam filters). If there won't be enough people
interested and willing to contribute (financially or by coding), I will
dismiss the idea of making the RTC SDK for FreePascal/Lazarus.

Why? And how are you going to control it? As far as I know you have
placed the code on sourceforge for every body to use any way they want
to. How are you going to stop any one from porting it and using it
internally with or with out informing the comunity?
I think that the need to port can't be raised like this. The only
think you can do is make sure that the project is kept alive. With
regular updates, show cases, public products that every body can use,
etc. In short make sure that you do what ever you can to make it more
popular.
As more and more developers are getting involved the chance of a
knowledgeable developer geting interested in will increase.
This kind of posts have only negative impact. Do not place a deadline
leave it open so anyone can start anytime s/he has the time to, after
all it costs you nothing one way or an other if no developer comes
forward to port it.
Regards
Yannis.
--
The full use of your powers along lines of excellence.
- definition of "happiness" by John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)

"yannis" schrieb:
Danijel Tkalcec submitted this idea :
>I have sent an E-Mail to the "fpc-devel" FreePascal mailing list a few
>days ago and have not received a single reply yet. Now, I have also sent
>the E-Mail to the "fpc-pascal" mailing list and to all licensed RTC SDK
>users (except those who have spam filters). If there won't be enough
>people interested and willing to contribute (financially or by coding), I
>will dismiss the idea of making the RTC SDK for FreePascal/Lazarus.

Why? And how are you going to control it? As far as I know you have placed
the code on sourceforge for every body to use any way they want to. How
are you going to stop any one from porting it and using it internally with
or with out informing the comunity?
I am not saying that I will try to stop everyone who tries to port RTC SDK
to FreePascal/Lazarus. That would be silly. What I am saying is that I will
stop wasting time on Linux/FreePascal and focus only on Delphi (now Win32,
next year Win64 and probably also dotNET).
Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec

"yannis" schrieb:
This kind of posts have only negative impact. Do not place a deadline
leave it open so anyone can start anytime s/he has the time to, after all
it costs you nothing one way or an other if no developer comes forward to
port it.
To be precise, the "deadline" is only for my efforts to get people together
and make a RTC SDK for FreePascal/Lazarus happen. Ofcourse, I intend to
continue actively working on the Windows version of the RTC SDK, regardless.
And ... should someone decide to make the port to Lazarus/FreePascal on
their own (later) and they would contact me for support (asking questions
about RTC SDK internals), I will do what I can to help them.
Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec

Re:RealThinClient SDK for Linux - option TWO

Danijel,
| I have sent an E-Mail to the "fpc-devel" FreePascal mailing list a
| few days ago and have not received a single reply yet. Now, I have
| also sent the E-Mail to the "fpc-pascal" mailing list and to all
| licensed RTC SDK users (except those who have spam filters).
Good show. At least you're probing a related population. No replies
should tell you something.
04/24/2008 10:06:02
XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's Salutation mod]

Re:RealThinClient SDK for Linux - option TWO

Danijel Tkalcec writes:
Danijel,
This is off-topic here under this thread, and I apolgize for that; but,
before I forget:
I have altered the Web Server and the File Server so that port and
adress is settable in the GUI (and manually alterable in the ini file
too).
These 2 things have always bugged me.
There are a few small change there --mainly visual-- in those app.
You might like to look at them (there are exes in there) and if you
like them, you may wish to replace the ones in the Demo folder.
nntp://newsgroups.borland.com/borland.public.attachments/11611
PS: I do not claim any license info on the alterations. So, do whatever
you do with them.

Re:RealThinClient SDK for Linux - option TWO

Hi Adem,
I have altered the Web Server and the File Server so that port and
adress is settable in the GUI (and manually alterable in the ini file
too).
It looks like the file you have uploaded to the Attachments Newsgroup is
somehow broken (at least, I can't open it with 7-Zip). Can you please send
me the file by E-Mail - to the "General Questions" address from RTC contacts
page?
www.realthinclient.com/contact.htm
Thank you :-)
Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec

Danijel Tkalcec writes:
How to make the RealThinClient SDK for Linux happen?

My first idea was to find enough people to financially support the
development and then go to "www.rentacoder.com" and find a developer who
would make the port, but it turns out that this is the wrong way for making
a community project happen:
www.realthinclient.com/forum/

Now ... since Open Source is all about free code and community efforts (and
the RTC SDK for Delphi/Win32 is Open Source), it might be easier to organize
a community project with a team of developers working on their free time
because they want to have a Linux version of the RTC SDK.

<snipped>
Danijel,
I posted a notice of this to the Lazarus mail list as there were some inquiries
concerning n-tier development using Lazarus recently.
I'd be willing to help out as I am able, but I am certainly not the one to run
with it myself.
It would, however, be very, very nice to see it ported to Lazarus/Freepascal.
Lee

"Lee Jenkins" schrieb:
Danijel Tkalcec writes:
>How to make the RealThinClient SDK for Linux happen?

I posted a notice of this to the Lazarus mail list as there were some
inquiries concerning n-tier development using Lazarus recently.
Thanks.
I'd be willing to help out as I am able, but I am certainly not the one to
run with it myself.
Please contact me by E-Mail. Since porting to a different platform is not
the same as adding a feature or two (because the whole source code needs to
be ported before you can use it), we will not get anywhere if we do not
organize the effort.
It would, however, be very, very nice to see it ported to
Lazarus/Freepascal.
So far, there was no response from the FPC community, but I have received a
number of responses from RTC SDK users after my mailing action yesterday.
Most people said that they have no interest in FreePascal/Lazarus, but
(including people from my first inquiry) we now have ten people who have
some kind of interest in making this happen. Unfortunatelly, most of them do
not have enough experience with FreePascal/Lazarus nor free time to
contribute by coding, but would be willing to make a small monetary
contribution. And that brings me back to my initial idea.
It looks like we will have a better chance of success if we try to get a few
more people willing to contribute financially and then go out to hire a
developer through www.rentacoder.com

Danijel Tkalcec writes:
"Lee Jenkins" schrieb:
>Danijel Tkalcec writes:
>>How to make the RealThinClient SDK for Linux happen?
>
>I posted a notice of this to the Lazarus mail list as there were some
>inquiries concerning n-tier development using Lazarus recently.

Thanks.

>I'd be willing to help out as I am able, but I am certainly not the
>one to run with it myself.

Please contact me by E-Mail. Since porting to a different platform is
not the same as adding a feature or two (because the whole source code
needs to be ported before you can use it), we will not get anywhere if
we do not organize the effort.
I will.
>It would, however, be very, very nice to see it ported to
>Lazarus/Freepascal.

So far, there was no response from the FPC community, but I have
received a number of responses from RTC SDK users after my mailing
action yesterday. Most people said that they have no interest in
FreePascal/Lazarus, but (including people from my first inquiry) we now
have ten people who have some kind of interest in making this happen.
Unfortunatelly, most of them do not have enough experience with
FreePascal/Lazarus nor free time to contribute by coding, but would be
willing to make a small monetary contribution. And that brings me back
to my initial idea.
I'm in the same boat as I have just started using Lazarus/Freepascal in a serious
way about a year ago. That is one of the reasons that I disqualified myself
from any significant contributions.
It looks like we will have a better chance of success if we try to get a
few more people willing to contribute financially and then go out to
hire a developer through www.rentacoder.com

That might be the ticket, but like getting developers involved directly, it
seems its all a matter of desire.
Lee

"Lee Jenkins" schrieb:
Danijel Tkalcec writes:

>It looks like we will have a better chance of success if we try to get a
>few more people willing to contribute financially and then go out to hire
>a developer through www.rentacoder.com

That might be the ticket, but like getting developers involved directly,
it seems its all a matter of desire.

Let's see where this leads:
www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder/misc/BidRequests/ShowBidRequest.asp
Best Regards,