Is there a lightweight database for Delphi?

Hi all,

I've got a Delphi4 Pro app that stores data in the Windows
registry. As I add new features to the app, I'm needing to
store more and more data and the registry is no longer the
suitable place for the data.

At the same time, there really won't be more than about
500 records. I really don't need a Paradox or Access
database to handle this small amount of info, not to
mention the fact that shipping all the extra required
files just to access the tiny data set doesn't seem
practical.

I'm looking for a lightweight database that I can ship
with my app; one that doesn't require BDE or any complex
setup or install. It'd be nice if I could use standard SQL
to retrieve info from it, but it's not required as long as
data access is fairly simple and straight forward, like
accessing the registry. My app is freeware, so I'm a bit
sensitive on price, but I've got no problem paying a
reasonable fee since the database could be used for many
different applications.

Does such a beast exist? I don't want to pig up the
registry with too much data, yet I absolutely don't need
to add the weight and complexity of a large database to my
small, freeware utility. TIA.

 - Dave

Re:Is there a lightweight database for Delphi?

Sounds like your app is single user. If this is so, have you thought about
using a flat file to store your data. Depending on the amount of data you
have you could use an INI file, or you could use a tStringList that you read
and write to a text file, or a tList of records.
David M. Fornalsky wrote in message ...
>Hi all,

>I've got a Delphi4 Pro app that stores data in the Windows
>registry. As I add new features to the app, I'm needing to
>store more and more data and the registry is no longer the
>suitable place for the data.

>At the same time, there really won't be more than about
>500 records. I really don't need a Paradox or Access
>database to handle this small amount of info, not to
>mention the fact that shipping all the extra required
>files just to access the tiny data set doesn't seem
>practical.

>I'm looking for a lightweight database that I can ship
>with my app; one that doesn't require BDE or any complex
>setup or install. It'd be nice if I could use standard SQL
>to retrieve info from it, but it's not required as long as
>data access is fairly simple and straight forward, like
>accessing the registry. My app is freeware, so I'm a bit
>sensitive on price, but I've got no problem paying a
>reasonable fee since the database could be used for many
>different applications.

>Does such a beast exist? I don't want to pig up the
>registry with too much data, yet I absolutely don't need
>to add the weight and complexity of a large database to my
>small, freeware utility. TIA.

> - Dave

Re:Is there a lightweight database for Delphi?

David,

There's something at the Delphi Super Page called "MiniTable" that sounds
like what you need.
It works for Delphi 3 and 4.  I will need something similar in an upcoming
project, so I'm going to download it and take a look.
Take a look at it:

http://sunsite.icm.edu.pl/delphi/

Ray

Re:Is there a lightweight database for Delphi?

There is a component on the superpage called Ttexttable that allows your using of the datasource
components without the BDE.  Everything is stored in a text file.  Seems to work quite well.  I
would recomment it.

Mark
--------------------------
m...@sepcoinc.com

Re:Is there a lightweight database for Delphi?

Hi,

You may want to take a look at DBISAM, at:
http://www.elevatesoft.com/

Perhaps more advanced/heavyweight than your current needs/requirements, but
compiles completely into your exe and doesn't increase it's size much.

Cheers,
Jarle

Re:Is there a lightweight database for Delphi?

In article <Ozpp2.1084$I%4.1...@newscene.newscene.com>
"David M. Fornalsky" <cyg...@mcs.com> wrote:

> Hi all,

> I've got a Delphi4 Pro app that stores data in the Windows
> registry. As I add new features to the app, I'm needing to
> store more and more data and the registry is no longer the
> suitable place for the data.

> At the same time, there really won't be more than about
> 500 records. I really don't need a Paradox or Access
> database to handle this small amount of info, not to
> mention the fact that shipping all the extra required
> files just to access the tiny data set doesn't seem
> practical.

Surely if you can write data to the registry, you can just
as easily write the data to an INI file (using TIniFile).
Better still, you can write the data to any old text file,
and you can delimit the fields with commas or whatever
else. You can load the whole file at once into a TStringList
with a single function call, and you can parse the fields
yourself (just write a simple "tokenise" function).
I personally tend to use comma-delimited text files
for all my database programming (low code overhead,
and no need to ship any bloated database engine).

Best regards, The Chief
--------
Email: la...@keele.ac.uk
Homepage: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/African_Chief/
Author of: Chief's Installer Pro v5.00 for Win32
     ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/win95/install/chief500.zip

Re:Is there a lightweight database for Delphi?

In article <Ozpp2.1084$I%4.1...@newscene.newscene.com>, "David M. Fornalsky" <cyg...@mcs.com> wrote:

>I've got a Delphi4 Pro app that stores data in the Windows
>registry. As I add new features to the app, I'm needing to
>store more and more data and the registry is no longer the
>suitable place for the data.

>At the same time, there really won't be more than about
>500 records. I really don't need a Paradox or Access
>database to handle this small amount of info, not to
>mention the fact that shipping all the extra required
>files just to access the tiny data set doesn't seem
>practical.

>I'm looking for a lightweight database that I can ship
>with my app; one that doesn't require BDE or any complex
>setup or install. It'd be nice if I could use standard SQL

There are many choices.  See my web site, but be warned that it is nearly 6
months out of date - many of the products have been upgraded.  Hopefully I
will be able to address this soon...

[* k...@kylecordes.com       | For Delphi  |  BDE Alternatives Guide  *]
[* http://www.kylecordes.com | developers: | MIDAS Alternatives Guide *]

www.elevatesoft.com

--
Steve Garland sgarl...@astatech.com
ASTA: 3-Tier & Thin Client Tools for Delphi

Re:Is there a lightweight database for Delphi?

On 20 Jan 1999 12:51:03 -0600, "David M. Fornalsky" <cyg...@mcs.com>
wrote:

>I'm looking for a lightweight database that I can ship
>with my app; one that doesn't require BDE or any complex
>setup or install. It'd be nice if I could use standard SQL

Yes, I would guess minitable is probably the one you are looking for.
I have played with it a little, and if you don't need to use Paradox
tables, it should do the job for you.  You will like the price, too
<G>

Other Threads