Optimizing IBX components for ISDN

I am currently running some test accessing a Database server through a 64 Kb
(ISDN) connection. However initial results shows that MS-SQL is A LOT faster
than IB(X) both when entering the form (that is opening/starting
Dataset/Transaction) and when fireing my TIBQuery (simple "SELECT"
statement).

I have chained BufferChunks from 1000 (default value) to 10 however this
don't seem to have any impact, also I have tried disabling the
AutoCalcFields.

How do I "optimize" the IBX components for running on a client which is
connected via ISDN (TCP/IP) ?

Re:Optimizing IBX components for ISDN

What version of IBX are you using?  4.2 made a big improvement here.  Also,
what IBX components are you using (TIBDataset, TIBQuery, etc).

Dan

Pelle F. S. Liljendal <pelle...@pxoxst4.tele.dk (remove the Xs)> wrote in
message news:39f08fa6_1@dnews...

"Pelle F. S. Liljendal" wrote:

> I am currently running some test accessing a Database server through a 64 Kb
> (ISDN) connection. However initial results shows that MS-SQL is A LOT faster
> than IB(X) both when entering the form (that is opening/starting
> Dataset/Transaction) and when fireing my TIBQuery (simple "SELECT"
> statement).

> I have chained BufferChunks from 1000 (default value) to 10 however this
> don't seem to have any impact, also I have tried disabling the
> AutoCalcFields.

BufferChunks will change nothing in the situation you are describing.
BufferChunks is how many empty record slots to allocate at a time, not how many
to bring across.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
The fool escaped from paradise will look over his shoulder and cry

Re:Optimizing IBX components for ISDN

I am using IBX 4.3 (TIBQuery) on a D5E accessing a IB 6..0.1 DB-server.

Pelle

Pelle F. S. Liljendal wrote in message <39f08fa6_1@dnews>...

>I am currently running some test accessing a Database server through a 64
Kb
>(ISDN) connection. However initial results shows that MS-SQL is A LOT
faster
>than IB(X) both when entering the form (that is opening/starting
>Dataset/Transaction) and when fireing my TIBQuery (simple "SELECT"
>statement).

Try using IBSQL instead of IBQuery. Also check your query in ISQL or some
other tool that lets you see the query plan and statisitics - perhaps the
query itself needs to be optimized better.

--
Wayne Niddery (WinWright Inc.)
RADBooks - http://members.home.net/wniddery/

Re:Optimizing IBX components for ISDN

I also noticed an odd thing that 4.2 seems to give me better performance
over 56k dialup for TIBSQL than 4.3! The transfer tarffic seems more direct,
4.3 seems to have a LOT of lag time between requests for next records,
response to queries, etc.

Mike

"Pelle F. S. Liljendal" <pelle...@pxoxst4.tele.dk (remove the Xs)> wrote in
message news:39f08fa6_1@dnews...

> I am currently running some test accessing a Database server through a 64
Kb
> (ISDN) connection. However initial results shows that MS-SQL is A LOT
faster
> than IB(X) both when entering the form (that is opening/starting
> Dataset/Transaction) and when fireing my TIBQuery (simple "SELECT"
> statement).

> I have chained BufferChunks from 1000 (default value) to 10 however this
> don't seem to have any impact, also I have tried disabling the
> AutoCalcFields.

> How do I "optimize" the IBX components for running on a client which is
> connected via ISDN (TCP/IP) ?

Re:Optimizing IBX components for ISDN

Definitely nothing changed that would affect that.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
The fool escaped from paradise will look over his shoulder and cry
Sit and chew on daffodils and struggle to answer why?
As you grow up and leave the playground
Where you kissed your Prince and found your frog
Remember the jester that showed you tears, the script for tears. (Fish)

Re:Optimizing IBX components for ISDN

perhaps it was bad timing? (Running vs. a DSL connection quite a ways
away...).. I'll double check.

Mike

"Jeff Overcash (TeamB)" <overc...@onramp.net> wrote in message

> Definitely nothing changed that would affect that.

> Mike Johnson wrote:

> > I also noticed an odd thing that 4.2 seems to give me better performance
> > over 56k dialup for TIBSQL than 4.3! The transfer tarffic seems more
direct,
> > 4.3 seems to have a LOT of lag time between requests for next records,
> > response to queries, etc.

> > Mike

> --
> Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
>       (Please do not email me directly unless  asked. Thank You)
> The fool escaped from paradise will look over his shoulder and cry
> Sit and chew on daffodils and struggle to answer why?
> As you grow up and leave the playground
> Where you kissed your Prince and found your frog
> Remember the jester that showed you tears, the script for tears. (Fish)

Re:Optimizing IBX components for ISDN

I tried it again around 2am, and it worked fine...I had run 4.2, looked at
perf, installed 4.3 recompiled, and ran, and sawa  drop, and then
uninstalled and re-ran 4.2 - back to normal,. I guess the connection thru at
that moment happened to be REALLY bad - you can see how I jumped to the
conclusion. The original test was mid-morning.
I tried it again last night, and noticed no difference between the two.

My apologies,
Mike

Mike Johnson wrote in message <8sv9bl$4...@bornews.borland.com>...

>I tried it again last night, and noticed no difference between the two.

Thanks for the follow up, much appreciated.

--
Wayne Niddery (WinWright Inc.)
RADBooks - http://members.home.net/wniddery/
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they pass by -
Douglas Adams

Re:Optimizing IBX components for ISDN

Not a problem... I'm used to apologizing, I'm married! ;)

Mike

Mike Johnson wrote in message <8t03jd$a...@bornews.borland.com>...
>Not a problem... I'm used to apologizing, I'm married! ;)

I'm sorry. <g>

--
Wayne Niddery (WinWright Inc.)
RADBooks - http://members.home.net/wniddery/
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they pass by -
Douglas Adams

Other Threads