Delphi V2 Help "word list" problem

I am a complete novice at Delphi and am having a problem with the Help
"word list" in Delphi V2. When I try to use the Help "find" option,
Delphi, as one would expect, creates a database of .fts files.

It builds the word list (eventually), then tries to load it. The
problem is that it never finishes! I let it run for over an hour
today, pressing ctrl-alt-delete showed that it had stopped responding.

I've tried running the help without running Delphi (to free up
memory), I've even used DriveSpace to get some extra disk space in
case that was the problem (I've got about 100MB free now and the
swapfile is on the host drive) but it still won't work.

If anyone needs the help system to work - it's me! I've been learning
Pascal for a while now, but the Lots.Of.Parameters.With.Dots are a bit
daunting to say the least ;-)

Any ideas?

--       Nigel Mercier <nmerc...@dial.pipex.com>      --
-- http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/nmercier/index.htm --
--          "Pascal is well Wirth the effort"         --

Re:Delphi V2 Help "word list" problem

nmerc...@dial.pipex.com (Nigel Mercier) wrote:
>I am a complete novice at Delphi and am having a problem with the Help
>"word list" in Delphi V2. When I try to use the Help "find" option,
>Delphi, as one would expect, creates a database of .fts files.

Actually, it's Winhelp that creates the index, not Delphi.

>It builds the word list (eventually), then tries to load it. The
>problem is that it never finishes! I let it run for over an hour
>today, pressing ctrl-alt-delete showed that it had stopped responding.

I'd guess that it's running out of memory.  I don't know if there's
anything you can do about this other than buying more, since you've
already tried freeing up space by running help alone. Alternatively,
you can probably live without the full text searches.  Just delete (or
hide) those .fts files, and avoid using the Find tab in help.

Duncan Murdoch

Re:Delphi V2 Help "word list" problem

>I am a complete novice at Delphi and am having a problem with the Help
>"word list" in Delphi V2. When I try to use the Help "find" option,
>Delphi, as one would expect, creates a database of .fts files.

>It builds the word list (eventually), then tries to load it. The
>problem is that it never finishes! I let it run for over an hour
>today, pressing ctrl-alt-delete showed that it had stopped responding.

>I've tried running the help without running Delphi (to free up
>memory), I've even used DriveSpace to get some extra disk space in
>case that was the problem (I've got about 100MB free now and the
>swapfile is on the host drive) but it still won't work.

>If anyone needs the help system to work - it's me! I've been learning
>Pascal for a while now, but the Lots.Of.Parameters.With.Dots are a bit
>daunting to say the least ;-)

>Any ideas?

>--       Nigel Mercier <nmerc...@dial.pipex.com>      --
>-- http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/nmercier/index.htm --
>--          "Pascal is well Wirth the effort"         --

I had a similar problem after I installed D2 and then D1.02.  The problem
went away after I reinstalled D2.  It appears that D1.02 may be overwriting
some files used by D2.

Jose' Perez

Other Threads