Extended memory in Turbo Pascal 6: how?

Currently, I do my math programming with Turbo Pascal 6.0. I
often, however, bump into the memory limit of 640K bytes.  Is
there a way of beating this (without swapping pages from files)
and allow me to use extended memory?  If not, do the later
versions of Turbo Pascal avoid that memory limitation?

Thanx for any help!
Sandy Weil
sa...@herd.org

Re:Extended memory in Turbo Pascal 6: how?

S.A.Weil wrote:

> Currently, I do my math programming with Turbo Pascal 6.0. I
> often, however, bump into the memory limit of 640K bytes.  Is
> there a way of beating this (without swapping pages from files)
> and allow me to use extended memory?  If not, do the later
> versions of Turbo Pascal avoid that memory limitation?

> Thanx for any help!
> Sandy Weil
> sa...@herd.org

Well, without a little bit more information it's hard for me to be
specific, but if you want a unit which handles XMS memory (source), just
ask and ye shall receive (from me; same goes for anyone else).

Hope this helps.

Will <lib...@ix.netcom.com>

Re:Extended memory in Turbo Pascal 6: how?

> Currently, I do my math programming with Turbo Pascal 6.0. I
> often, however, bump into the memory limit of 640K bytes.  Is
> there a way of beating this (without swapping pages from files)
> and allow me to use extended memory?  If not, do the later
> versions of Turbo Pascal avoid that memory limitation?
>    The simple answer to your (2nd) question is: BP7.0 will allow you to

program for DMPI access - XMS/EMS memory and Protected Mode.  However, I
must ask why you, in your math programming, must work with such memory
ranges.  I'm sure there are other ways, with TP6.0 and conventional
memory addressing, that you can accomplish your tasks.  What is that
tells you you're exceeding Real memory limitations?

Will wrote:

> S.A.Weil wrote:

> > Currently, I do my math programming with Turbo Pascal 6.0. I
> > often, however, bump into the memory limit of 640K bytes.  Is
> > there a way of beating this (without swapping pages from files)
> > and allow me to use extended memory?  If not, do the later
> > versions of Turbo Pascal avoid that memory limitation?

> Well, without a little bit more information it's hard for me to be
> specific, but if you want a unit which handles XMS memory (source), just
> ask and ye shall receive (from me; same goes for anyone else).

There are also a couple of good units in the SWAG in the bucket MEMORY.

--
Jos van Kan           http://dutita0.twi.tudelft.nl/users/vankan
Math Dept, Delft Univ of Technology, Delft Netherlands.

Other Threads