D4 Professional + MSSQL 6.5 on network ..

Can Delphi 4 (Professional version) run over a network with MSSQL?  If
so, what do I have to configure to make this work?

Thank you very much for helping a newbie.

Re:D4 Professional + MSSQL 6.5 on network ..

Jerry O. Holloway wrote:

> Can Delphi 4 (Professional version) run over a network with MSSQL?  If
> so, what do I have to configure to make this work?

You will need to create an ODBC DSN for your MSSQL database.  This is
done via 32-bit ODBC in your control panel.  Once this has been created,
there will be a BDE alias with the same name automatically created by
the BDE.   Create a TDatabase component attached to this and yopu are in
business.  It is said by Inprise that the Delphi 4 Client/Server version
with native MSSQL access is faster (and this is my experience).  I have
read elsewhere that ODBC is quicker.

Oliver

Re:D4 Professional + MSSQL 6.5 on network ..

>> It is said by Inprise that the Delphi 4 Client/Server version
>>with native MSSQL access is faster (and this is my experience).

It's also my experience.  In general, ODBC is slower than using
the native drivers.

=Bill=

Other Threads