Advise on client/server version of Database app

I'm writing an application that uses several Paradox databases and
handles them with SQL queries.
This program works locally, but I want to make it a client/server
application.

There are several copies of this program running on different locations.

I want to keep all databases up-to-date on a (Linux) internetserver.
Updates occur on the end of each day.
But I want it to be a two-way process. The client updates the server and

vice-versa with the database data from the other locations.

Questions:
- What server-side program do I need?
- How do I write the code to do this?

Thanks, all help is appreciated.

Roland

Re:Advise on client/server version of Database app

Roland M. Guyt wrote in message <37EC8C18.D9868...@StaySane.nl>...
>I'm writing an application that uses several Paradox databases and
>handles them with SQL queries.
>This program works locally, but I want to make it a client/server
>application.

>There are several copies of this program running on different locations.

>I want to keep all databases up-to-date on a (Linux) internetserver.
>Updates occur on the end of each day.
>But I want it to be a two-way process. The client updates the server and

>vice-versa with the database data from the other locations.

Creating a process to try to synchronize many different databases all
running local to their respective machines is not Client/Server, it is also
very complicated and error-prone. If you want to really go Client/Server,
then the goal is to set up one central database and have all these different
locations connect to the same single database. That way there is no
synchronization to be done - everyone is always up to date.

Although this can be done using Paradox, it isn't really advised, Paradox is
not a real SQL database (the BDE handles the SQL you are giving it) and is
not designed to reliably handle very many simultaneous users.  Seriously
consider migrating to a real SQL backend (Interbase highly recommended and
offers a server for Linux).

--
Wayne Niddery - WinWright Consulting
RADBooks - http://members.home.net/wniddery/