Database on CD-ROM??

Hi,

Is it possible to open an Access database on a read-only device (CD-ROM,
write-protected floppy)? I am going to distribute an application which uses
a large database, so copying it to a temporary location is NOT an option!
It seems the database engine always needs to create a LDB file in the same
directory where it found the MDB file, even if I expressly open the
database with read-only and/or exclusive flags set. All suggestions
welcome!

Alexander

Re:Database on CD-ROM??

Paradox has the same problem. Use dbaseiv tables instead.

Alexander Stols <alex...@dds.nl> wrote in article
<01bc440a$6d8dc2e0$124da...@alex.kun.nl>...

> Hi,

> Is it possible to open an Access database on a read-only device (CD-ROM,
> write-protected floppy)? I am going to distribute an application which
uses
> a large database, so copying it to a temporary location is NOT an option!
> It seems the database engine always needs to create a LDB file in the
same
> directory where it found the MDB file, even if I expressly open the
> database with read-only and/or exclusive flags set. All suggestions
> welcome!

> Alexander

Re:Database on CD-ROM??

mcr...@teleport.com (Don Latshaw)  wrote

> Paradox has the same problem. Use dbaseiv tables instead.

No, for Paradox there is a solution. Query for 'CDROM' on the tech tips on
www.borland.com.

Michael
--

Michael Suedkamp                                      m...@suedkm.franken.de