C++ Builder 5.0 better than Delphi 5.0?

I was wondering if Builder 5.0 is better than Delphi 5.0 or if it has any
advantages?

Thomas

Re:C++ Builder 5.0 better than Delphi 5.0?

Other than it has the advantages C++ always has over Pascal? Such as
operator overloads?
On Thu, 23 Mar 2000 22:29:40 -0800, "TBD" <tbda...@swbell.net> wrote:
>I was wondering if Builder 5.0 is better than Delphi 5.0 or if it has any
>advantages?

>Thomas

Re:C++ Builder 5.0 better than Delphi 5.0?

<<TBD:
 I was wondering if Builder 5.0 is better than Delphi 5.0 or if it has any
 advantages?

Delphi has a faster compiler.  Other than that, I think it's pretty much a
matter of your personal taste.

Regards

Peter

Re:C++ Builder 5.0 better than Delphi 5.0?

TBD wrote...
>I was wondering if Builder 5.0 is better than Delphi 5.0 or if it has any
>advantages?

For precise info, download this (small) file:

  ftp://ftp.borland.com/pub/bcppbuilder/techpubs/b5new.zip

It's the "What's new in BCB5" help file. If you don't have the D5 one get
that too:

  ftp://ftp.borland.com/pub/delphi/techpubs/delphi5/del5new.zip

Now you can compare.
--
Rudy Velthuis

TBD wrote:

> I was wondering if Builder 5.0 is better than Delphi 5.0 or if it has any
> advantages?

If you'll be writing a large program in it, prepare for coffee breaks on every
Build. Otherwise it's just CPP vs OP.

Re:C++ Builder 5.0 better than Delphi 5.0?

Alex Kaufman wrote...
>If you'll be writing a large program in it, prepare for coffee breaks on every
>Build.

Is that a disadvantage? <g>

And BCB has precompiled headers. These perform quite well, compile-
wise, if used properly.
--
Rudy Velthuis

Re:C++ Builder 5.0 better than Delphi 5.0?

> >If you'll be writing a large program in it, prepare for coffee breaks
on every
> >Build.

> Is that a disadvantage? <g>

> And BCB has precompiled headers. These perform quite well, compile-
> wise, if used properly.

... but C++ with precompiled headers etc. is still much slower to
compile than Delphi.

Re:C++ Builder 5.0 better than Delphi 5.0?

Kyle Cordes wrote...
>... but C++ with precompiled headers etc. is still much slower to
>compile than Delphi.

But not slow enough for extensive coffee breaks.
--
Rudy Velthuis

Re:C++ Builder 5.0 better than Delphi 5.0?

As everyone else says, the chief difference is the language.  If you
percieve C++ as an advantage over OP (I do, many don't) then BCB is a
superior product.

BCB5 should offer similar capabilities to Delphi 5.01, ie after the
first patch.  There are usually some VCL bug fixes that make the BCB
release, and in this case better attention to COM+ support as Win2K has
finally been released.  Not sure how much that was attended to with the
Delphi patch though, other here will know better than I!

The chief differences are probably in the way they support COM, Delphi
has it's own support and language extensions, BCB uses ATL v3, the
Microsoft way.

Generally though, all other differences are minor compared to the C++/OP
difference.  If you have a preference for either language, that should
make your call.

If you have no preference, I would choose Delphi as I am an 'early
adopter' and like all the new toys as soon as they are available!
Delphi always gets there first.  By the same token, more conservative
folks should go for BCB, as it usually ships with at least the first
service pack applied to the VCL!

AlisdairM

TBD wrote:

> I was wondering if Builder 5.0 is better than Delphi 5.0 or if it has any
> advantages?

> Thomas

Re:C++ Builder 5.0 better than Delphi 5.0?

AlisdairM <"alisdair.meredith"@NO_SPAM_PLE...@benettonformula.com>
wrote...

>As everyone else says, the chief difference is the language.  If you
>percieve C++ as an advantage over OP (I do, many don't) then BCB is a
>superior product.
>If you have no preference, I would choose Delphi as I am an 'early
>adopter' and like all the new toys as soon as they are available!
>Delphi always gets there first.  By the same token, more conservative
>folks should go for BCB, as it usually ships with at least the first
>service pack applied to the VCL!

Next question: Is BCB5 better than BCB4? As I understood it could really
use a service pack right now. C++ written components seem to have
problems with properties and alignment, some programs crash on Win95a.

I wanted to order BCB5 Pro, after having played with my free BCB3 Std for
a while, but I guess I'd better wait until SP1.
--
Rudy Velthuis

Re:C++ Builder 5.0 better than Delphi 5.0?

BCB 5 has support for COM+. In Delphi, you have to wait for version 6.

Rudy Velthuis wrote:
> Next question: Is BCB5 better than BCB4? As I understood it could really
> use a service pack right now. C++ written components seem to have
> problems with properties and alignment, some programs crash on Win95a.

Ask me next week, I only installed yesterday!
So far the conversion is more hassle than 3 to 4, more warnings to shut
up (unused parameters in all those events passing TObject* Sender!) and
some DYNAMIC macros needed adding to my method overrides.  I don't
remember any code changes for 3->, certainly nothing this pervasive.

OTOH, CodeGuard has already picked up a couple of memory overruns, so
everything else being equal that may be worth the upgrade alone!

If there are all the problems you suggest, I may end up trying a mix,
debugging under 5 with CodeGuard but releasing code built with 4.  Hope
it doesn't come to that though!

AlisdairM

Re:C++ Builder 5.0 better than Delphi 5.0?

Rudy,

> Is BCB5 better than BCB4?

There are some nice new features but nothing Earth shattering in the
IDE that I've found (though the ToDo list might be handy). The biggest
reason to upgrade is probably that it helps swell Borland's coffers and
it lays good foundations for BCB6.

> As I understood it could really use a service pack right now.

Not really. I would give it a month or so to find a few more bugs. It's
more than stable enough to use but as with (sadly) all Borland IDEs
recently there are various irritations and "funnies" which should
(IMHO) have been dealt with prior to release. I can only assume that
the Borland developers either don't use the IDE or else have a higher
tolerance for such things than I do.

> I wanted to order BCB5 Pro, after having played with my free BCB3

BCB3 was one of the naff releases - the de{*word*81} is much, much better
in BCB4. Given that BCB5 is the current version I have no hesitation in
suggesting that you rush out and upgrade. The service pack isn't so
necessary that you should wait for it.

Andrue Cope
[Bicester, UK]

Re:C++ Builder 5.0 better than Delphi 5.0?

AlisdairM <"alisdair.meredith"@NO_SPAM_PLE...@benettonformula.com>
wrote...

>If there are all the problems you suggest, I may end up trying a mix,
>debugging under 5 with CodeGuard but releasing code built with 4.  Hope
>it doesn't come to that though!

It seems the problems weren't that big. The most pecualiar bug reported
seemed to come from dlcuser.bpk (or whatever it is called) being compiled
with byte instead of quad alignment. Recompiling changed that. Another
bug was getline() adding an additional trailing 0 in the STL, also easily
overcome by recompiling. The severest bug was that some programs compiled
and run on Win95a would prodoce crashes (even a simple console Hello
World).

I don't have BCB5 yet, but am seriously considering upgrading to it
(to Pro).
--
Rudy Velthuis

Rudy Velthuis wrote:
> The severest bug was that some programs compiled
> and run on Win95a would prodoce crashes (even a simple console Hello
> World).

That's a little worrying.  We don't have any machines running 95a any
more (as far as I am aware!) but I know of at least one running
'original' 95!  Even that has had IE4 through, just to update the common
controls, so who knows what version it counts as now!

Guess I'll explore that issue shortly, once I have all my code
upgraded...

AlisdairM

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads