Is Peer to Peer reliable?

I have been asked to install a delphi app on a peer to peer setup (with
simple paradox tables using BDE).  I would normally advise to use a
dedicated server for this work so I would like to know what other
developers experiences are of PtP versus dedicated server(Eg using NT).
In particular reliability and speed issues.

Many thanks for all replies

--
Mike Saunders

Re:Is Peer to Peer reliable?

You can still use a dedicated machine to house the files, which may
not be a bad idea considering the increased disk accesses needed to
make a set of table available for file sharing on multiple stations as
opposed to a database server which simply accepts requests and returns
results.

I have an electronic copy of an article in Delphi Developer magazine
that gives advice on using Paradox on the cheap as opposed to a
database server.  Let me know if you'd like me to e-mail it to you.

-Peter

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998 12:30:53 +0000, Mike Saunders

<m...@folley.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>I have been asked to install a delphi app on a peer to peer setup (with
>simple paradox tables using BDE).  I would normally advise to use a
>dedicated server for this work so I would like to know what other
>developers experiences are of PtP versus dedicated server(Eg using NT).
>In particular reliability and speed issues.

>Many thanks for all replies

Other Threads