Table open speed with 2 different programs

WinNT Server, Win2000 & Win98 Clients.  Programs A and B are
Delphi 3 programs.  The databases are dBase using BDE 5.01.

Program A is running on the Server and uses Database A on the Server.
Program B is running on each Client and uses Database B on the Server.
Program B occasionally needs to access (read/write) into Database A.

The above has worked fine for a few years but recently Program A was
enhanced by a remote developer and performance problems have developed.

On those occasions when Program B needs to access Database A on the
Server there is a 10-15 second delay opening each table.  After a table
is open read/write performance is fine.  However, if Program A does not
have any Database A tables open or is not running, Program B's access to
Database A tables is fast.

Neither the remote developer nor I can figure out what is causing this
delay to happen.  Any ideas?

- David Harper  dhar...@neosoft.com

Re:Table open speed with 2 different programs

I was just about to post a similar problem, with a partial solution. I don't
know if David Harper's problem is actually related, but the symptoms are the
same, so...

We have a Paradox-based, multi-user system. On two sites, when one user is
running the application, speed opening tables is OK. When a second user
starts the app, opening tables for both users takes 5 times longer.
Additional users also take 5 times longer - that is, the slowdown does not
get worse with additional users.

At one site, they were running McAffee NetShield 4 antivirus on the server
hosting the Paradox files. Removing McAffee fixed the problem immediately -
no more slowdown. Replacing McAffee with the equivalent Norton product also
solved the problem. We don't really know why, just that McAffee appeared to
be interfering with opening tables shared on the server when one workstation
already had them open shared.

Second site was also running McAffee, but shutting McAffee down had no
effect - still slow. This makes me wonder if McAffee was actually the
problem in the first case. One remote possibility - the McAffee services
were just stopped on the server - maybe McAffee is still doing something
even so?

We know it is a server problem - moving the data to a local workstation and
using it as a "server" makes the problem go away. It is not the application
itself - I wrote a test program that only opens the apps's Paradox tables,
and it had the same problem. Not a network problem. I am out of ideas...

All other sites (100+) with the same configuration are fine.

Delphi 3 app, BDE 4.5 or 5.11 (does not make a difference), NT Workstation
clients, NT Server, 100 Mb network, Local Share on, network/private
directories mapped correctly.

Anyone with ideas (for either David), please help!

David

"David Harper" <dhar...@starbase.neosoft.com> wrote in message

> WinNT Server, Win2000 & Win98 Clients.  Programs A and B are
> Delphi 3 programs.  The databases are dBase using BDE 5.01.

> Program A is running on the Server and uses Database A on the Server.
> Program B is running on each Client and uses Database B on the Server.
> Program B occasionally needs to access (read/write) into Database A.

> The above has worked fine for a few years but recently Program A was
> enhanced by a remote developer and performance problems have developed.

> On those occasions when Program B needs to access Database A on the
> Server there is a 10-15 second delay opening each table.  After a table
> is open read/write performance is fine.  However, if Program A does not
> have any Database A tables open or is not running, Program B's access to
> Database A tables is fast.

> Neither the remote developer nor I can figure out what is causing this
> delay to happen.  Any ideas?

> - David Harper  dhar...@neosoft.com

Other Threads