Database error message for XP Home

I have a small address program using a paradox data file that ran OK on
windows 98, but when I try it on my new windows XP Home computer with the
files in the same folders as before it will not run and gives the error
message     Project Address.exe raised exception class EDBEngineError with
message 'Network initilization failed. Drive not ready. File:
A:\PDOXUSRS.NET Directory: A:\'
This was using Delphi 4.  Any ideas?

Re:Database error message for XP Home

Lauren Johnson wrote:
> I have a small address program using a paradox data file that ran OK on
> windows 98, but when I try it on my new windows XP Home computer with the
> files in the same folders as before it will not run and gives the error
> message     Project Address.exe raised exception class EDBEngineError with
> message 'Network initilization failed. Drive not ready. File:
> A:\PDOXUSRS.NET Directory: A:\'
> This was using Delphi 4.  Any ideas?

Use the BDE Configuration tool (probably in the "Tools" submenu of the
Paradox item, if you're using a recent vintage) to specify the NET FILE
DIR.

Generally you create a directory (e.g. "C:\NETDIR") and specify this.

If the database is shared by others, they must have a corresponding NET FILE
DIR setting, all mapped to the same directory.

Also, the LOCAL SHARE setting must be TRUE everywhere.

Noodle around in the utility and you'll find all these settings.

"Lauren Johnson" <ljohn...@inav.net> wrote in message <news:uu2ou2tgidp53a@corp.supernews.com>...
> I have a small address program using a paradox data file that ran OK on
> windows 98, but when I try it on my new windows XP Home computer with the
> files in the same folders as before it will not run and gives the error
> message     Project Address.exe raised exception class EDBEngineError with
> message 'Network initilization failed. Drive not ready. File:
> A:\PDOXUSRS.NET Directory: A:\'
> This was using Delphi 4.  Any ideas?

Not exactly sure, but I assume you have your files on the A: Floppy
drive.  Open windows explorer (hold down windows key, then press e)
Goto the floppy and Move, not copy any paradox.lck or pdoxusrs.net
file to a c:\myfiles directory.  You are likely logged in differently,
thus the lockout.

I trust you have your files backed up to a harddrive location -
Floppies are slow and can become corrupted easily.

HTH,

John

Other Threads