BDE settings for MSSQL 2000 server

I'm trying to set-up my BDE Administrator to a Type MSSQL. I've been using
the DBE with InterBase and know how to set it up, but have no real idea of
how to connect to a SQL server. Could you give me some pointers on this or
somewhere I can go to get some help.

Thank you,
Randy

Re:BDE settings for MSSQL 2000 server

Randy

> I'm trying to set-up my BDE Administrator to a Type MSSQL.

There are some standard ones that I set...but you may have to tune the
specifics:

Type: MSSQL
DATABASE NAME: <Database you want to connect to>
HOST NAME: <NetBIOS name of the local computer>
LANGDRIVER: Borland ENG Latin-1
SERVER NAME: <NetBIOS name of server where MSSQL resides>

Accept the defaults for the rest.
Now my suggestion to you is to use ADO instead of BDE for MSSQL.

Joe

Re:BDE settings for MSSQL 2000 server

> I'm trying to set-up my BDE Administrator to a Type MSSQL. I've been using
> the DBE with InterBase and know how to set it up, but have no real idea of
> how to connect to a SQL server. Could you give me some pointers on this or
> somewhere I can go to get some help.

Use an ODBC driver, not the MSSQL SQL-Links, as SQL Server 2000 is not
supported by the BDE (due to Microsoft not updating the DB-Links library
since 6.5).  Or use ADO.

Oliver Townshend

Re:BDE settings for MSSQL 2000 server

Actually SQL2000 works perfectly with the BDE if you don't use the new
SQL2000 features and use only the SQL7 features.

Additional to the J.M. De Moor answer, if you need to use decimals with
more than 4 decimal places, you should set the Enable BCD property to true.

--
Guillermo Casta?o Acevedo
Gerente de Sistemas - Grupo Millennium Ltda

Re:BDE settings for MSSQL 2000 server

> Actually SQL2000 works perfectly with the BDE if you don't use the new
> SQL2000 features and use only the SQL7 features.

Yup.  I still have 2 remaining apps that work fine using BDE with MSSQL
2000...but will convert them as soon as I can.  Distributing is my biggest
argument against BDE.  Besides the BDE baggage, the installs are never a
slam dunk and I have had to physically copy registry settings on more than
one occasion.  MDAC has baggage too, but it is less problematic (for me
anyway).

Joe

Other Threads