Installing database applications on a PC without Delphi

Having built a database application which uses Paradox or dBASE tables,
I've tried to run it on a PC which does not have Delphi installed. I've set
the Table.DatabaseName field in Object Inspector so its value is the
directory which contains the table and index files, as opposed to the name
of a pre-configured Alias. On the non-Delphi PC, I've copied the EXE file
and all the .DB, .XG0 etc files into a directory of the name that I set in
Object Inspector.

When I run the application, before the opening form appears I get a fatal
error "EDatabase Error: Error occurred while attempting to initalise
Borland Database Engine. Error $2108". Is this implying that the EXE file
isn't self-contained and is trying to refer to some DLLs?

If so, which DLLs are needed, where should they be placed and where is this
information documented?

I'm using Delphi 1.

Re:Installing database applications on a PC without Delphi

  It's very well documented....  Look in the REDIST directory on your CD,
and install the BDE as the Read.me file and several other sources tell
you....

--
Jason Wallace
SL Software

Martin Underwood wrote in message <01bd1eac$aabf16a0$LocalHost@mu>...
>Having built a database application which uses Paradox or dBASE tables,
>I've tried to run it on a PC which does not have Delphi installed. I've set
>the Table.DatabaseName field in Object Inspector so its value is the
>directory which contains the table and index files, as opposed to the name
>of a pre-configured Alias. On the non-Delphi PC, I've copied the EXE file
>and all the .DB, .XG0 etc files into a directory of the name that I set in
>Object Inspector.

>When I run the application, before the opening form appears I get a fatal
>error "EDatabase Error: Error occurred while attempting to initalise
>Borland Database Engine. Error $2108". Is this implying that the EXE file
>isn't self-contained and is trying to refer to some DLLs?

>If so, which DLLs are needed, where should they be placed and where is this
>information documented?

>I'm using Delphi 1.

Re:Installing database applications on a PC without Delphi

Also read the deploy.txt found in your Delphi directory...

Rick Peterson

>If so, which DLLs are needed, where should they be placed and where is this
>information documented?

>I'm using Delphi 1.

Re:Installing database applications on a PC without Delphi

<Dark...@SLSoftware.reno.nv.us> dated Sun, 11 Jan 1998 15:46:09 -0800.

I sympathise with Martin.   It does not matter how well documented a
subject is if you don't know its there it might as well not be.

I too am interested in this thread and have refered to the readme file
that Jason suggests but although I am not new to coding or computing,
just Delphi, I find it extremely difficult to understand, in fact, I
have read it and re-read it and still do not understand it or see how it
answeres Martins question.

Although it is probably a dirty word in this group I have found the
Borland documentation and help screens inferior to those provided with
Microsoft products.

--

Regards Alex. Shaw

(Please reply to news group)

Re:Installing database applications on a PC without Delphi

As I posted earlier...

you can find the info in deploy.txt which can be found in your Delphi
directory...hope this helps

Rick Peterson

Alex. Shaw wrote in message <34ba6858.3572...@news.netcentral.co.uk>...
><Dark...@SLSoftware.reno.nv.us> dated Sun, 11 Jan 1998 15:46:09 -0800.

>I sympathise with Martin.   It does not matter how well documented a
>subject is if you don't know its there it might as well not be.

>I too am interested in this thread and have refered to the readme file
>that Jason suggests but although I am not new to coding or computing,
>just Delphi, I find it extremely difficult to understand, in fact, I
>have read it and re-read it and still do not understand it or see how it
>answeres Martins question.

>Although it is probably a dirty word in this group I have found the
>Borland documentation and help screens inferior to those provided with
>Microsoft products.

>>  It's very well documented....  Look in the REDIST directory on your CD,
>>and install the BDE as the Read.me file and several other sources tell
>>you....

>>--
>>Jason Wallace
>>SL Software
>>Dark...@SLSoftware.reno.nv.us
>>--
>>"We are Microsoft.  Resistance is Futile.  You will be Assimiliated."

>>Martin Underwood wrote in message <01bd1eac$aabf16a0$LocalHost@mu>...
>>>Having built a database application which uses Paradox or dBASE tables,
>>>I've tried to run it on a PC which does not have Delphi installed. I've
set
>>>the Table.DatabaseName field in Object Inspector so its value is the
>>>directory which contains the table and index files, as opposed to the
name
>>>of a pre-configured Alias. On the non-Delphi PC, I've copied the EXE file
>>>and all the .DB, .XG0 etc files into a directory of the name that I set
in
>>>Object Inspector.

>>>When I run the application, before the opening form appears I get a fatal
>>>error "EDatabase Error: Error occurred while attempting to initalise
>>>Borland Database Engine. Error $2108". Is this implying that the EXE file
>>>isn't self-contained and is trying to refer to some DLLs?

>>>If so, which DLLs are needed, where should they be placed and where is
this
>>>information documented?

>>>I'm using Delphi 1.

>--

>Regards Alex. Shaw

>(Please reply to news group)

Re:Installing database applications on a PC without Delphi

Hi Martin
For every app you're distributing you HAVE TO install BDE from Redinst on
target machine and make new alias with the same name as you specified in app.
Hope this help
Petr

Martin Underwood wrote:
> Having built a database application which uses Paradox or dBASE tables,
> I've tried to run it on a PC which does not have Delphi installed. I've set
> the Table.DatabaseName field in Object Inspector so its value is the
> directory which contains the table and index files, as opposed to the name
> of a pre-configured Alias. On the non-Delphi PC, I've copied the EXE file
> and all the .DB, .XG0 etc files into a directory of the name that I set in
> Object Inspector.

> When I run the application, before the opening form appears I get a fatal
> error "EDatabase Error: Error occurred while attempting to initalise
> Borland Database Engine. Error $2108". Is this implying that the EXE file
> isn't self-contained and is trying to refer to some DLLs?

> If so, which DLLs are needed, where should they be placed and where is this
> information documented?

> I'm using Delphi 1.

Other Threads