Problems with AMD K6-333

We have two machines here that have the AMD K6-333 processor in them
with Win98, and neither the Delphi 4 install nor the BDE administrator
program will run on them.  The machines just hang when the program is
launched, and then need to be rebooted.  As far as I can tell the video
driver is standard VGA, and under Display Adapters in control panel it
says standard VGA also.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Re:Problems with AMD K6-333

Hi Jim,
Are you running in 16 colors? Win98 has an image list problem with 16
colors that prevents both programs from running. Try turning off
hardware accleration:
Display->properties->Settings->Advanced->Performance. It does sound like
a buggy video driver...
Corbin

--
Corbin Dunn
Delphi Developer Support

Re:Problems with AMD K6-333

Hi Corbin,

>>Try turning off

hardware accleration:
Display->properties->Settings->Advanced->Performance.<<

We tried that, but the programs still lock up.

Thanks,
Jim

> Hi Jim,
> Are you running in 16 colors? Win98 has an image list problem with 16
> colors that prevents both programs from running. Try turning off
> hardware accleration:
> Display->properties->Settings->Advanced->Performance. It does sound like
> a buggy video driver...
> Corbin

> Jim Elden wrote:

> > We have two machines here that have the AMD K6-333 processor in them
> > with Win98, and neither the Delphi 4 install nor the BDE administrator
> > program will run on them.  The machines just hang when the program is
> > launched, and then need to be rebooted.  As far as I can tell the video
> > driver is standard VGA, and under Display Adapters in control panel it
> > says standard VGA also.

> > Any ideas?

> > Thanks!

> --
> Corbin Dunn
> Delphi Developer Support
> www.borland.com
> (I do not respond to support questions by e-mail)

Re:Problems with AMD K6-333

Jim,
The delphi4 install won't run? Are you sure you aren't in 16 colors or
safe mode (which is 16 colors)? Try browsing to the install dir off the
CD and running the install directly and see if that works.

Corbin

Jim Elden wrote:

> Hi Corbin,

> >>Try turning off
> hardware accleration:
> Display->properties->Settings->Advanced->Performance.<<

> We tried that, but the programs still lock up.

> Thanks,
> Jim

> > Hi Jim,
> > Are you running in 16 colors? Win98 has an image list problem with 16
> > colors that prevents both programs from running. Try turning off
> > hardware accleration:
> > Display->properties->Settings->Advanced->Performance. It does sound like
> > a buggy video driver...
> > Corbin

> > Jim Elden wrote:

> > > We have two machines here that have the AMD K6-333 processor in them
> > > with Win98, and neither the Delphi 4 install nor the BDE administrator
> > > program will run on them.  The machines just hang when the program is
> > > launched, and then need to be rebooted.  As far as I can tell the video
> > > driver is standard VGA, and under Display Adapters in control panel it
> > > says standard VGA also.

> > > Any ideas?

> > > Thanks!

> > --
> > Corbin Dunn
> > Delphi Developer Support
> > www.borland.com
> > (I do not respond to support questions by e-mail)

--
Corbin Dunn
Delphi Developer Support
www.borland.com
(I do not respond to support questions by e-mail)

Re:Problems with AMD K6-333

Corbin.

It was 16 colors.  Upgrading the display driver and increasing the color depth
solved the problem.

Thanks!

Jim

"Corbin [borland.com]" wrote:
> Jim,
> The delphi4 install won't run? Are you sure you aren't in 16 colors or
> safe mode (which is 16 colors)? Try browsing to the install dir off the
> CD and running the install directly and see if that works.

> Corbin

> Jim Elden wrote:

> > Hi Corbin,

> > hardware accleration:
> > Display->properties->Settings->Advanced->Performance.<<

> > We tried that, but the programs still lock up.

> > Thanks,
> > Jim

> > > Hi Jim,
> > > Are you running in 16 colors? Win98 has an image list problem with 16
> > > colors that prevents both programs from running. Try turning off
> > > hardware accleration:
> > > Display->properties->Settings->Advanced->Performance. It does sound like
> > > a buggy video driver...
> > > Corbin

> > > --
> > > Corbin Dunn
> > > Delphi Developer Support
> > > www.borland.com
> > > (I do not respond to support questions by e-mail)

> --
> Corbin Dunn
> Delphi Developer Support
> www.borland.com
> (I do not respond to support questions by e-mail)

Other Threads