BDE ONLY install

I have an application to be installed on a number of machines.  The EXE will
change every day as we develop it.  As the app gets more robust, we'll just
give more users access to it.  I'd like a BDE ONLY install from install
shield, I cannot do this w/Delphi 4, I have done this in Prev versions.  It's
a large network and it would be hand to have a BDE Install on the network so
getting a new user up takes all of 3 minutes.  Right now im carting the
Dellphi 4 CD and doing a 12 MB BDE Install from the CD to get the app
running.  Although this works, i want just the RUNTIME BDE.

Re:BDE ONLY install

I agree, decoupling the BDE install from the main application is exactly
what
we do. We use Wise and it seems to work fine.

Could you possibly cheat with Install shield and simply install some 0 byte
exe or
some small text file forcing install shield to produce a complete install?

Garry Kernan

fcos...@ibm.net wrote in message <7151ri$2n...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>I have an application to be installed on a number of machines. The EXE will
>change every day as we develop it.  As the app gets more robust, we'll just
>give more users access to it.  I'd like a BDE ONLY install from install
>shield, I cannot do this w/Delphi 4, I have done this in Prev versions.
It's
>a large network and it would be hand to have a BDE Install on the network
so
>getting a new user up takes all of 3 minutes.  Right now im carting the
>Dellphi 4 CD and doing a 12 MB BDE Install from the CD to get the app
>running.  Although this works, i want just the RUNTIME BDE.

>http://www.dejanews.com/       Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own

Re:BDE ONLY install

I will try to do that, but when i try to cheat Installshield, it keeps asking
for DATAPUMP, and i see someone else is having this trouble.  What is Wise? It
sounds exactly what im a looking for!

In article <717g76$p...@mongol.sasknet.sk.ca>,
  "Garry Kernan" <gker...@innovationplace.com> wrote:

> I agree, decoupling the BDE install from the main application is exactly
> what
> we do. We use Wise and it seems to work fine.

> Could you possibly cheat with Install shield and simply install some 0 byte
> exe or
> some small text file forcing install shield to produce a complete install?

> Garry Kernan

> fcos...@ibm.net wrote in message <7151ri$2n...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
> >I have an application to be installed on a number of machines. The EXE will
> >change every day as we develop it.  As the app gets more robust, we'll just
> >give more users access to it.  I'd like a BDE ONLY install from install
> >shield, I cannot do this w/Delphi 4, I have done this in Prev versions.
> It's
> >a large network and it would be hand to have a BDE Install on the network
> so
> >getting a new user up takes all of 3 minutes.  Right now im carting the
> >Dellphi 4 CD and doing a 12 MB BDE Install from the CD to get the app
> >running.  Although this works, i want just the RUNTIME BDE.

> >http://www.dejanews.com/       Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own

Re:BDE ONLY install

Sorry,
Wise is from Great Lakes Business Solutions.

http://www.glbs.com

Garry Kernan

fcos...@ibm.net wrote in message <717urj$9o...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>I will try to do that, but when i try to cheat Installshield, it keeps
asking
>for DATAPUMP, and i see someone else is having this trouble.  What is Wise?
It
>sounds exactly what im a looking for!

Other Threads