Corrupt File other than Header on Paradox

I have a client that has been getting an error that reads "Corrupt
file other than header" it also gives the name of the DB and PX. My
client has been getting it every 20 to 40 minutes. I get it when my
application is posting or just browsing the data. Does anyone have any
idea of what this could be and how i can fix it.

Thank you very much

Geovanni.

Re:Corrupt File other than Header on Paradox

First of all, check out our ChimneySweep? tool at:
        http://www.sundialservices.com/products/chimneysweep

Then check two BDE Configuration parameters:
        LOCAL SHARE should be TRUE for =all= computers
        NET FILE DIR must be specified for all computers and point to
          the same directory.

Once you have done this (on all computers that run Paradox =AND= the
server), and have restarted the workstations, verify that when one user
begins editing a record, no other user is able to edit the same record.

I strongly suspect that the workstations are not seeing each-other's
locks on the files, and are therefore overwriting each-other's data.

There could also be other problems which is why I suggested looking at
ChimneySweep.

Geovanny Leiva wrote:

> I have a client that has been getting an error that reads "Corrupt
> file other than header" it also gives the name of the DB and PX. My
> client has been getting it every 20 to 40 minutes. I get it when my
> application is posting or just browsing the data. Does anyone have any
> idea of what this could be and how i can fix it.

That's one of those non-severe BDE errors. Non-severe meaning here
that you can quite easily fix the Paradox database, and in many cases
will not loose any data.

These errors may appear if you Windows or your app hangs, with tables
being open for editing/inserting.

You'll find the free repair utilities from here:
http://www.rksolution.cz/DELPHI/DELPHI.htm

Markku Nevalainen

Re:Corrupt File other than Header on Paradox

That's certainly not _my assessment of the problem.  What zeroes it in
as a "serious problem" to me is the phrase "20 to 40 minutes."  My
assessment in a situation like Geovanny's is that "they've been very
lucky so far."  Whatever the underlying problem is, it could easily
manifest far-worse.

We stress this to ChimneySweep? customers ALL the time ... "chronic is
serious!"

Sundial Services wrote:

> That's certainly not _my assessment of the problem.  What zeroes it in
> as a "serious problem" to me is the phrase "20 to 40 minutes."

In here the 20 to 40 minutes time can not say anything about the
severity.

That's because BDE is no way able itself to fix that kind of DB error.
You'll definitely have to run some kind of DB repair program before
that error will disappear. And the error will remain for weeks, if
you don't fix the DB.

With error being severe or non-severe, I used scaling:
 -Loose Most of Your Data or
 -Not To Loose Any of Your data

Error "Corrupt file other than header" usually does not loose any
data, or it looses only the last inserted, incomplete record.
But of course you'll have to run the DB repair utility, or the error
messages continue.

>  Whatever the underlying problem is, it could easily manifest far-worse.

There does not necessarily have to be any underlying problem, where
someone outside Microsoft could do something.

Error "Corrupt file other than header" is _usually not_ caused by
some program or logic error in the app, but it will easily appear
if the app or Windows hangs for some reason. And programmatically
you usually can't do much for preventing Windows hang-ups.

If you run the DB repair utility, and the error will disappear for
good, then it was just one of those Windows hick-ups.

Instead, if you have error in your code logic, or your BDE has false
settings, that will most usually cause the "Index out of date" error.
This is area where good programming can fix many situations.

Markku Nevalainen

Markku Nevalainen <m...@iki.fi> wrote in message <news:3CD8DBDF.7B91@iki.fi>...
> Sundial Services wrote:

> > That's certainly not _my assessment of the problem.  What zeroes it in
> > as a "serious problem" to me is the phrase "20 to 40 minutes."

> In here the 20 to 40 minutes time can not say anything about the
> severity.

> That's because BDE is no way able itself to fix that kind of DB error.
> You'll definitely have to run some kind of DB repair program before
> that error will disappear. And the error will remain for weeks, if
> you don't fix the DB.

> With error being severe or non-severe, I used scaling:
>  -Loose Most of Your Data or
>  -Not To Loose Any of Your data

> Error "Corrupt file other than header" usually does not loose any
> data, or it looses only the last inserted, incomplete record.
> But of course you'll have to run the DB repair utility, or the error
> messages continue.

> >  Whatever the underlying problem is, it could easily manifest far-worse.

> There does not necessarily have to be any underlying problem, where
> someone outside Microsoft could do something.

> Error "Corrupt file other than header" is _usually not_ caused by
> some program or logic error in the app, but it will easily appear
> if the app or Windows hangs for some reason. And programmatically
> you usually can't do much for preventing Windows hang-ups.

> If you run the DB repair utility, and the error will disappear for
> good, then it was just one of those Windows hick-ups.

> Instead, if you have error in your code logic, or your BDE has false
> settings, that will most usually cause the "Index out of date" error.
> This is area where good programming can fix many situations.

> Markku Nevalainen

I have tried to raise the Block Size buffer to 4096 and i ran the DB
Repair Utility on the table, the Utility didn't think that the table
was wrong and i did not loose any data. After all this i am still
gettin the error. I am running the exact same program in 10 other
locations and only this one customer is getting this error. The table
only has 57547 records (18MB) Do you guys have any more suggestions, i
would really appreciate any.

Geovanni Leiva

Geovanny Leiva wrote:

> I have tried to raise the Block Size buffer to 4096 and i ran the DB
> Repair Utility on the table, the Utility didn't think that the table
> was wrong and i did not loose any data. After all this i am still
> gettin the error. I am running the exact same program in 10 other
> locations and only this one customer is getting this error. The table
> only has 57547 records (18MB)

Looks like you have easy access (?) to that customers site.

Also, when the database size is that small, I suggest to make
and exact copy from the customers DB, and test that copy
in your own test environment.

You did not tell if this is networked or single user app.
If it's only single user, and the copy of database runs fine on
your machine, or on your network, then you have at least
something.

Then the problem lies somewhere in the customer's PC-hardware,
or network or within Windows.
Even if it would be there, you as the application vendor
probably have to find and remove the problem anyway:(

Sorry, but no better suggestions this far.
I have built in back-up ZIP-utility in my apps. And if this
kind of 'stealth' problem appears, I usually ask them to
post or e-mail me the back-up for checking.

Very often it helps too. You can quickly find some needed
key field content missing or some other peculiarity or something.

Markku Nevalainen

Re:Corrupt File other than Header on Paradox

Table errors can also be caused by index files, or by table-language
mismatches between the table and its index-files.  (Is the table other
than "us-ASCII?"  In your case, betcha that it is.)

Note:  Paradox Table Repair is -only- aware of "us-Ascii."  For reliable
repair of non-ASCII tables you _must use ChimneySweep.

Moving the tables to a completely different environment for testing is
often a good idea.

Sundial Services wrote:

> Note:  Paradox Table Repair is -only- aware of "us-Ascii."

This may be partly true, but probably is not completely true.

I have for years succesfully used Borland's standard TUTILITY Table
Repair with other than ASCII Paraox drivers.

What exactly is the "us-Ascii" Paradox driver here? Currently
I can't find such a driver, I was able to find these Ascii drivers
only:

  "Paradox 'ascii'"
  "'ascii' ANSI"
  "Paradox 'ascii' Japan"

I just checked, made a 'Index out of date' error, and then repaired
the tables with these Paradox Lang Driver settings being turned on:

 "Spanish ANSI"
 "Borland DEU Latin-1"
 "Pdox ANSI Czech"

There was no problems wot TUTILITY.DLL based repair tool to
repair the index with any of these drivers.

Of course I do not had not all the possible Czechish or Deutsch
etc. characters used and stored in my DB, and it is possible they
would make the difference.

So there might be cases when TUTILITY will not handle tables when
non-Ascii Paradox drivers are used. Though I have never faced
that kind of problem (knock, knock).

Markku Nevalainen

Other Threads