Board index » delphi » Delphi 1.0 under NT 4.0

Delphi 1.0 under NT 4.0

I will soon be upgrading to NT 4.0 but still only have Delphi 1.0
Is it worth installing or am I wasting my time ?

Alan

 

Re:Delphi 1.0 under NT 4.0


Installing what? Delphi 1 or NT 4.0?
I work for a year with both. There are some system crashes when starting
my program. But even better than Windows 95.

A Bontoft schrieb:

Quote
> I will soon be upgrading to NT 4.0 but still only have Delphi 1.0
> Is it worth installing or am I wasting my time ?

> Alan

Mit freundlichen Gr?en
Matthias Frey
--
Ingenieurbro Matthias Frey; Biberweg 4; D-72768 Reutlingen
Tel. 07121-968037; Fax. 07121-968038
eMail: Matthias.F...@neckar-alb.de
http://MatthiasFrey.ecoteam.net

Re:Delphi 1.0 under NT 4.0


On 22 Apr 1998 20:20:20 GMT, abont...@aol.com (A Bontoft) wrote:

Quote
>I will soon be upgrading to NT 4.0 but still only have Delphi 1.0
>Is it worth installing or am I wasting my time ?

We're still doing all our development in Delphi 1.0, and we have NT
4.0 as the basic platform. Works quite nicely for me, no waste of time
at all, if your end product has to run on Win 3.x machines.

Marc

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marc Scheuner                                    marc.scheu...@berner.ch
Berner Versicherungen / ISV                       Tel ++41 31 / 384 5630
Sulgeneckstrasse 19                               Fax ++41 31 / 384 5490
CH-3001 Bern, Switzerland
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re:Delphi 1.0 under NT 4.0


  Wasting your time...  Upgrade to 32bit....

--
Jason Wallace
SL Software
Dark...@SLSoftware.reno.nv.us
--
"We are Microsoft.  Resistance is Futile.  You will be Assimiliated."

Quote
A Bontoft wrote in message

<1998042220202000.QAA23...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...
Quote
>I will soon be upgrading to NT 4.0 but still only have Delphi 1.0
>Is it worth installing or am I wasting my time ?

>Alan

Re:Delphi 1.0 under NT 4.0


Quote
Jason Wallace wrote:

>   Wasting your time...  Upgrade to 32bit....

Yes, but could you  give _one_ good argument, why?   I really couls have use
for it with some of my clients. They do't even know they are running 16-bit
D1 app on their W3.1,  W95 and NT workstations. One example of the 32-bit
benefits for them?

I know there are things that can't be done in D1 environment (OCX etc.), but
as long as you don't need them, then where are the good 32-bit arguents?
When changing from D1 to 32-bit, it's not just all win, you'll also loose
something.

Markku Nevalainen

Re:Delphi 1.0 under NT 4.0


D1/NT4 is a good combination. If D1 or your App crashes you'll
always have the poss. to kill ntvdm.exe. Under 95 you would have
to reboot.

Regards, W.L.

Quote
A Bontoft wrote:

> I will soon be upgrading to NT 4.0 but still only have Delphi 1.0
> Is it worth installing or am I wasting my time ?

> Alan

Re:Delphi 1.0 under NT 4.0


On Thu, 23 Apr 1998 17:40:15 +0300, Markku Nevalainen

Quote
<mneva...@netlife.fi> wrote:
>Yes, but could you  give _one_ good argument, why?  

stability and less ressource troubles, maybe?

Quote
>When changing from D1 to 32-bit, it's not just all win, you'll also loose
>something.

Can you give one example of something you loose when switching to D3??

Marc

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marc Scheuner                                    marc.scheu...@berner.ch
Berner Versicherungen / ISV                       Tel ++41 31 / 384 5630
Sulgeneckstrasse 19                               Fax ++41 31 / 384 5490
CH-3001 Bern, Switzerland
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re:Delphi 1.0 under NT 4.0


Quote
Marc Scheuner wrote:

> Can you give one example of something you loose when switching to D3??

Please, accept two reasons:

1. Onehundred and sixty million potential customers! Currently running their
   every day PC tasks on Win3.11.
2. Need to rewrite applications that run and do their job completely good.
   Of course, all the possible VBX components can be replaced with OCX, and
   rewrite all the 16-bit specific code also. But does this kid of work bring
   any new money?

This does not mean that I'm saying that starting to write completely new
applications, it still would be wise to write it using D1.

Markku Nevalainen

Re:Delphi 1.0 under NT 4.0


Markku Nevalainen <mneva...@netlife.fi> wrote in article
<3540D0DE.2...@netlife.fi>...

Quote
> Marc Scheuner wrote:

> > Can you give one example of something you loose when switching to D3??

> 1. Onehundred and sixty million potential customers! Currently running
their
>    every day PC tasks on Win3.11.

Not true.
From my experience, developing 16-bit apps using Delphi 1 in a 32-bit
environment works fine.

- Graeme Vincent

Re:Delphi 1.0 under NT 4.0


Quote
G Vincent wrote:

> Markku Nevalainen <mneva...@netlife.fi> wrote in article
> <3540D0DE.2...@netlife.fi>...
> > Marc Scheuner wrote:

> > > Can you give one example of something you loose when switching to D3??

> > 1. Onehundred and sixty million potential customers! Currently running
> their
> >    every day PC tasks on Win3.11.

> Not true.
> From my experience, developing 16-bit apps using Delphi 1 in a 32-bit
> environment works fine.

> - Graeme Vincent

Hmm?? I just wonder, what is not true??? What was the picture you got, when
you read my earlier message?
Instead, if you say you can easily put 32-bit apps (without W32S) to run
under W3.11, then we might have some disagreement. Or better yet, you have
something to sell to me:)

Markku Nevalainen

Re:Delphi 1.0 under NT 4.0


Markku Nevalainen <mneva...@netlife.fi> wrote in article
<35408A1C.2...@netlife.fi>...

Quote
> Hmm?? I just wonder, what is not true??? What was the picture you got,
when
> you read my earlier message?
> Instead, if you say you can easily put 32-bit apps (without W32S) to run
> under W3.11, then we might have some disagreement. Or better yet, you
have
> something to sell to me:)

OK, maybe I missed something earlier.
I just saw your comment and jumped in.
What I'm saying is that you can easily develop 16-bit apps under Win
95/NT4.
And they run fine on Win 3.1.
So there is no harm in switching to 32-bit. You will keep the millions of
customers running Win 3.1 or Dos.

Sorry if this has nothing to do with the thread.

- Graeme Vincent

Re:Delphi 1.0 under NT 4.0


In article: <353F52CF.2...@netlife.fi>  Markku Nevalainen <mneva...@netlife.fi> writes:

Quote

> Jason Wallace wrote:

> >   Wasting your time...  Upgrade to 32bit....

> Yes, but could you  give _one_ good argument, why?   I really couls have use
> for it with some of my clients. They do't even know they are running 16-bit
> D1 app on their W3.1,  W95 and NT workstations. One example of the 32-bit
> benefits for them?

> I know there are things that can't be done in D1 environment (OCX etc.), but
> as long as you don't need them, then where are the good 32-bit arguents?
> When changing from D1 to 32-bit, it's not just all win, you'll also loose
> something.

> Markku Nevalainen

I couldn't live without lookup fields fo my database apps. D1 has to have them done
manually.

But then again, 32 bit database apps are markedly slower than 16 bit.

--

Greg Lorriman co. inc. & sons Ltd

Re:Delphi 1.0 under NT 4.0


Quote
G Vincent wrote:

> So there is no harm in switching to 32-bit. You will keep the millions of
> customers running Win 3.1 or Dos.

Ok, now I understand what You mean by switching to 32-bit...

But When _I_ as a program writer switch to 32-bit, that means that I throw
my 16-bit D1 tool to dumpster. And then quickly tear the 32-bit D2 or D3,
or the coming D7, out of the cellophane wrapper.:)

Markku Nevalainen

Re:Delphi 1.0 under NT 4.0


In article <3544387e.2936...@news.bernoise.ch>

Quote
marc.scheu...@no.spam.please.ch (Marc Scheuner) wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 1998 17:40:15 +0300, Markku Nevalainen
> <mneva...@netlife.fi> wrote:
>>Yes, but could you  give _one_ good argument, why?  

> stability and less ressource troubles, maybe?

>>When changing from D1 to 32-bit, it's not just all win, you'll also loose
>>something.

> Can you give one example of something you loose when switching to D3??

The ability of your programs to run under Windows 3.1x.
Unless your customers really *demand* a 32-bit product,
there is no advantage in writing one as opposed to writing
a 16-bit program.

Best regards, The Chief
--------
Dr. A{*word*73}la A. Olowofoyeku (The African Chief)
Email: la...@keele.ac.uk
Homepage: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/African_Chief/
Author of: Chief's Installer Pro 4.25 for Win16 and Win32:
ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/ibmpc/win3/apps/chief/pro/chief425.zip

Re:Delphi 1.0 under NT 4.0


  I'd say Bad coding then.  I have yet to have a D3 program run slower then
D1...  --  If the code is written properly, D3 will run faster
erytime...   --  Are you using the BDE API?  (that might just be the
difference (I found the API to be very nicely written...))

--
Jason Wallace
SL Software
Dark...@SLSoftware.reno.nv.us
--
"We are Microsoft.  Resistance is Futile.  You will be Assimiliated."

Quote
Greg Lorriman wrote in message <732949608...@lorriman.demon.co.uk>...

>I couldn't live without lookup fields fo my database apps. D1 has to have
them done
>manually.

>But then again, 32 bit database apps are markedly slower than 16 bit.

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads