releasing locks on files after a crash in Windows 95/NT

A good starting point for you is HandleEx.exe from www.sysinternals.com..
Works only on NT.
It is a utility which will tell you which process has the lock on your file.
Once you know it you will be able to figure out what to do.

Re:releasing locks on files after a crash in Windows 95/NT

I am having an annoying problem with system file locking.  I am doing some
file manipulation but am still experiencing a number of crashes.  Actually I
am using Word For Windows as an OLE client and when it crashes it leaves a
lock on the file I opened.  The only way I know of to clear the lock is to
re-boot, which takes a while and is not a great convenience either - I have
login to the network, start mail, load up other apps etc.

Does anyone know how to release these locks or know of an app or something
that will allow me to tell the system to release the lock on a particular
file?  I searched through deja news archive and found a url to a link which
was said to have something useful, but netscape couldn't find it.  Also I
could not find anything that addressed my problem.

Re:releasing locks on files after a crash in Windows 95/NT

A very good resource for you are these newsgroups:
news:borland.public.bcc.language  (via forums.borland.com newsserver)
news:microsoft.public.vcc.language (via msnews.microsoft.com newsserver)

--
Thomas Matthews
email: matt...@stamps.stortek.com

Other Threads