Master/Detail, MSACCESS indexes

I am trying to create a Master/Detail relationship between to MSACCESS
tables. The master table is a list of people wherein each has a unique
numerical ID. The detail table is a history list in which I have created
an index consisting of PersonID + Date. I want to relate these on the
PersonID field, and have the detail table sorted by date in descending
order.
I am not able to create the relationship, becuase when I try I get an
error message saying that there is no index on PersonID. If I create an
index using only that field, then I am able to create the relationship,
but of course, the detail table won't be sorted in by descending date.
How can I do this? It's so easy with Paradox tables, but I can't use
those.

Thanks,

Bill