Protected Mode Programming vs. Real

Regardless of how you compile your program for distribution I strongly recommend that you
develop it using protected mode.  You may find the run-time scrutiny annoying at first but you'll
produce more robust code in less time.  Memory management or addressing mistakes in real mode
may not cause trouble right away.  The same oversights in protected mode often cause immediate
aborts with an error code 216.  The underlying defect is often easier to find under these circumstances.

Re:Protected Mode Programming vs. Real

In article <DB9LrA....@tigadmin.ml.com> wmu...@dmg.ml.com (William Mudge) writes:
>Regardless of how you compile your program for distribution I strongly recommend
>that you
>develop it using protected mode.  You may find the run-time scrutiny annoying at
>first but you'll
>produce more robust code in less time.  Memory management or addressing mistakes
>in real mode
>may not cause trouble right away.  The same oversights in protected mode often
>cause immediate
>aborts with an error code 216.  The underlying defect is often easier to find
>under these circumstances.

I think the points in favour of pmode development are valid, but there are
also advantages to real mode development, and I think the best practice is a
mix of both.  For example, the IDE de{*word*81} works only in real mode.  The heap
is smaller, and that may make a difference in how your program runs.  It's
much easier to detect heap leaks when running in real mode.

Duncan Murdoch

William Mudge (wmu...@dmg.ml.com) wrote:

: Regardless of how you compile your program for distribution I strongly recommend that you
: develop it using protected mode.  You may find the run-time scrutiny annoying at first but you'll
: produce more robust code in less time.  Memory management or addressing mistakes in real mode
: may not cause trouble right away.  The same oversights in protected mode often cause immediate
: aborts with an error code 216.  The underlying defect is often easier to find under these circumstances.

But it is real troublesome that stepping thru the code is not supported.
It is a great tool in verify what's going on (right or wrong)

Other Threads