"Build with runtime packages"-question

Hi

I am making a program in Delphi 3 that has two projects: a normal
application (EXE) and a library (DLL). What would be the best thing to
do? Should I best build both projects with the runtime packages? Which
files do I then have to include in the installer of my program? Or
should I not build both projects with the runtime packages?

Thanks

---
Tim De Baets (Belgium)
BM-productions

Re:"Build with runtime packages"-question

Tim De Baets wrote:

> Or should I not build both projects with the runtime packages?

The easiest way to deploy your apps, in EXE or DLL, is of course not to use
packages. Just compile everything that will be needed inside the single EXE/DLL,
and you'll never face problems with having wrong DPL versions.

Then if the EXE starts to grow in megabytes, and you maybe want to distribute
new versions through slow modem lines, then a small EXE + bigger, static Runtime
Package may be better choice.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't start with NOT using packages, and
later turn your project to that way, if you wish to.

Error messages will easily show which DPL packages you have to deploy, when
you try to run your app on a machine not having the needed units.

Markku Nevalainen

"Tim De Baets" <tim.de.ba...@pi.be> wrote in message

> Hi

> I am making a program in Delphi 3 that has two projects: a normal
> application (EXE) and a library (DLL). What would be the best thing to
> do? Should I best build both projects with the runtime packages? Which
> files do I then have to include in the installer of my program? Or
> should I not build both projects with the runtime packages?

My inclination is to compile to a single executable. While using packages
reduces executable size, the packages that have to be included can
ultimately make the distribution larger. Using packages also introduces the
possibility of version conflicts.

Other Threads