Changing TTable and TQuery components to IB components

I have a couple of database programs that I wrote in D4 using Paradox.  Now
I would like to port the data over to Interbase, and take advantage of the
new Interbase components that shipped with D6.

I have recompiled the code in D6, and all went well; and I have ported the
data over to Interbase.  One would think that I should be able to view my
data modules as text, change the TTable and TQuery components to TIBTable
and TIBQuery, change all of the affected properties, and any other code that
was affected, and it should run.  Right?

Using this method, I can get everything to compile fine in D6, but when I
run the program, I get a plethora of very bizarre errors.  For instance, it
will go to a function, and crash before it even gets to any of the code
inside the function.  The declaration is fine, all of the code inside the
function worked fine previously, but after changing the component types,
etc., it just won't run.  If I remove a function that crashes like this, it
will simply crash the same way on a different function.

Does anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong, or what I need to do to
get around this?

Is my entire approach to this completely flawed, or am I just missing one of
those all-important obscure steps that I don't know about?

Any and all help will be *greatly* appreciated.

In Christ,

Peter, hierodeacon

----
Dormition Skete
A Monastery of the Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church
http://www.BuenaVistaCO.com/GOC
http://www.RussianOrthodoxAutonomousChurchInAmerica.com
----

Re:Changing TTable and TQuery components to IB components

You also need a TIBDatabase component and a TIBTransaction component. You
will have to add code to start and commit transactions at appropriate spots.
Using TIBTable is not a good idea. You will have better performance and more
control with TIBDataSet. Also, TIBQuery is read only. If you need to update
the dataset you need to use TIBDataSet. Finally, the best place to get help
with the IBX components is in the delphi.database.interbaseexpress
newsgroup. HTH.

--
Bill

Re:Changing TTable and TQuery components to IB components

Thank you for your response.  I did use a TIBDatabase and TIBTransaction
components.  I set those up and got them working.  Then I dropped a TIBTable
and TIBQuery component on the data module, and linked them to the
appropriate databases so I was sure to get all of the properties required by
the components.  Then I switched the data module to text mode and made my
changes.

From your post, I can see that I need to do more reading, and will try the
other newsgroup.  Can you please tell me, though, is my methodology to this
sound?  Should this whole concept of changing the components in the text
mode work, or am I just wasting my time?

Again, I appreciate your help.

In Christ,

Peter, hierodeacon

"Bill Todd (TeamB)" <bill_nos...@dbginc.com> wrote in message

> You also need a TIBDatabase component and a TIBTransaction component. You
> will have to add code to start and commit transactions at appropriate
spots.
> Using TIBTable is not a good idea. You will have better performance and
more
> control with TIBDataSet. Also, TIBQuery is read only. If you need to
update
> the dataset you need to use TIBDataSet. Finally, the best place to get
help
> with the IBX components is in the delphi.database.interbaseexpress
> newsgroup. HTH.

> --
> Bill
> (TeamB cannot answer questions received via email)

Re:Changing TTable and TQuery components to IB components

In theory yes but I have never tried it.

--
Bill