Excel Viewer instead of Excel

All, I am currently using the TOleContainer with Excel as the automated
application to view Excel Spreadsheets. The problem is I only want people to
view the Excel Spreadsheet and not be able to edit it. I had a thought about
using just the Excel Viewer and display it through the TWebBrowser. It is
really important that they cannot edit the document and at the moment I jump
through hoops to stop them from editing the document. i.e. Hiding the
toolbars, locking the spreadsheet using a transparent component, usual
stuff.

Any ideas suggestions etc gratefully received. I am also trying to do the
same with word, but have had more success.

I thank you all for you help and time. I am also particularly grateful to
Deborah Pate who through her help to other people has undoubtedly saved many
hours of my own stress.

Kind Regards,

Alex Henderson

--
www.bowbridgepublishing.com

Re:Excel Viewer instead of Excel

As I know Excel Viewer doesn't support an OLE automation. if you have some
information, please post it here.

Also check an article "Creating a Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet Viewer Using
Delphi 5's ADOExpress":

As alternative, check my SMImport: http://www.scalabium.com/smi that allow
to read xls-file into any memory array or grid (TStringGrid, for example)
and TMSWordDocument http://www.scalabium.com/msword that allow to read plain
text from doc-file

Both doesn't require OLE automation and can work without MS Excel/MS Word
installed

--
With best regards, Mike Shkolnik
EMail: mshkol...@scalabium.com

"Alex Henderson" <a...@bowbridgepublishing.com> ???Y/???Y ?????
???Y??: news:3e7e2bd7@newsgroups.borland.com...

> All, I am currently using the TOleContainer with Excel as the automated
> application to view Excel Spreadsheets. The problem is I only want people
> view the Excel Spreadsheet and not be able to edit it. I had a thought
about
> using just the Excel Viewer and display it through the TWebBrowser. It is
> really important that they cannot edit the document and at the moment I
jump
> through hoops to stop them from editing the document. i.e. Hiding the
> toolbars, locking the spreadsheet using a transparent component, usual
> stuff.

> Any ideas suggestions etc gratefully received. I am also trying to do the
> same with word, but have had more success.

> I thank you all for you help and time. I am also particularly grateful to
> Deborah Pate who through her help to other people has undoubtedly saved
many
> hours of my own stress.

> Kind Regards,

> Alex Henderson

> --
> www.bowbridgepublishing.com

Re:Excel Viewer instead of Excel

<<Alex Henderson:
All, I am currently using the TOleContainer with Excel as
the automated application to view Excel Spreadsheets. The
problem is I only want people to view the Excel Spreadsheet
and not be able to edit it.

You can use the workbook's Protect method for that.

  TeamB don't see posts sent via Google or ISPs