Build with Runtime Packages

Hi all,

This may be a dumb question, but that's never stopped me before.  If I build
with runtime packages, what do I have to distribute with my app?  What are
the pros/cons to doing this?

TIA,
Rich

Re:Build with Runtime Packages

Rich --

>This may be a dumb question, but that's never stopped me before.  If I build
>with runtime packages, what do I have to distribute with my app?

You have to distribute the packages that your resulting app requires.
You can specify this at the Project Options leve.

>What are
>the pros/cons to doing this?

The pros are that you get smaller exectuables, and that's helpful if
you have a lot of Delphi EXE files on a machine -- you can use one
package for all the EXE's.  The disadvantage is that you have to
distribute the packages, which are often larger than a single EXE
would have been.

Nick Hodges - TeamB
HardThink, Inc.
Please always follow the newsgroup guidelines --
http://www.borland.com/newsgroups

Re:Build with Runtime Packages

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the response.

> You have to distribute the packages that your resulting app requires.
> You can specify this at the Project Options leve.

Silly question again, but where/what are these files - are they dlls?  I
know that they are specified in the project options box, but where can I
find them on my system?

Thanks,
Rich

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001 15:58:55 -0500, "Rich" <r...@milanosystems.com>
wrote:

>Silly question again, but where/what are these files - are they dlls?

They are BPL files, and the get put in your /System32 directory by
default.  I think Dr. Bob has a utility at http://www.drbob42.com that
tells you which packages your appliation needs.

>know that they are specified in the project options box, but where can I
>find them on my system?

The runtime packages are BPL files normally found in your \system32
directory.

Nick Hodges - TeamB
HardThink, Inc.
Please always follow the newsgroup guidelines --
http://www.borland.com/newsgroups

Other Threads