Graphics repainting under D4

Since installing D4 over D3, I have noticed that graphics are getting more
frequently redrawn.  The user has only to move the mouse over a graphic and
it is repainted several times.

Can anyone account for this or suggest a solution?

John Dennis

Re:Graphics repainting under D4

John Dennis wrote in message <72jjkt$i...@forums.borland.com>...
>Since installing D4 over D3, I have noticed that graphics are getting more
>frequently redrawn.  The user has only to move the mouse over a graphic and
>it is repainted several times.

>Can anyone account for this or suggest a solution?

>John Dennis

A private e-mail from another user in response to this message reports that
he has had a similar problem.  Here are a few more details, as sent to him,
which might prompt someone to come up with an explanation;

My application displays a form with a toolbar at the top and the rest of the
client area occupied by a graphical component (descending from
TCustomControl) written by me and containing one or more charts.  There is
no third-party software involved.

When the user moves the mouse, especially when moving the cursor over a row
of buttons on the toolbar, the whole thing repaints repeatedly, apparently
at least once for each button passed over.

This started as soon as I installed D4 over D3 and has happened consistently
since then, so I am pretty confident that it is something in D4 that is
doing the damage.

I said 'a form', but the the application actually contains several forms of
similar design, and all do the same thing.

John Dennis

Re:Graphics repainting under D4

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998 15:06:05 -0000, "John Dennis"

<j...@jsdennis.keme.co.uk> wrote:

>My application displays a form with a toolbar at the top and the rest of the
>client area occupied by a graphical component (descending from
>TCustomControl) written by me and containing one or more charts.  There is
>no third-party software involved.

>When the user moves the mouse, especially when moving the cursor over a row
>of buttons on the toolbar, the whole thing repaints repeatedly, apparently
>at least once for each button passed over.

Could it be the hint windows is shown over Your main graphic? Then
when the hint goes away, the graphic needs to be repainted. If, for
some reason, the invalid rectangle is not used, the whole thing has to
be regenerated.

No idea why this should be different in D3 and D4 though...

Do You inhibit hints by setting the hint time to a very small value
(zero?) perhaps?

Anders Isaksson, Sweden

BlockCAD: http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/proglego.htm
Gallery:  http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery.htm