Borland's New WIN32 Help File: I'm laughing so hard I'm cryin'

Concerning the updated WIN32 Help file from Borland

GOOD:
They put the browse buttons in.  Great!  Now you can scroll forward and
backward.

VERY BAD:
The articles are NOT IN THE RIGHT ORDER!

Try this:
Open up the new WIN32.HLP file, and search the index for "Threads and
Processes Overview".  Double-click on it, and you get a nice first page titled
"Processes and Threads".  You think "Great, now I'll learn how they work in
the WIN32 API".  Click the "Browse Forward" button, and it takes you to "The
Registry".

THE BROWSE BUTTONS ARE USELESS IF THE TOPICS AREN'T IN THE CORRECT ORDER!!!!

Doesn't Borland sell a C++ product, and doesn't IT come with help files for
WIN32?  Why didn't they just copy them, since they didn't convert them to
pascal anyways.

I am really curious (and Steve T., maybe you can answer this), WHO at Borland
is responsible for these Help files.  How does this stuff get so screwed up
and fall all the way through the cracks (actually gaping holes)?

Please answer, I'm really curious.
-Ben Ziegler

Re:Borland's New WIN32 Help File: I'm laughing so hard I'm cryin'

bzieg...@radix.net (Ben Ziegler) wrote:
>Concerning the updated WIN32 Help file from Borland
>GOOD:
>They put the browse buttons in.  Great!  Now you can scroll forward and
>backward.
>VERY BAD:
>The articles are NOT IN THE RIGHT ORDER!
>Try this:
>Open up the new WIN32.HLP file, and search the index for "Threads and
>Processes Overview".  Double-click on it, and you get a nice first page titled
>"Processes and Threads".  You think "Great, now I'll learn how they work in
>the WIN32 API".  Click the "Browse Forward" button, and it takes you to "The
>Registry".
>THE BROWSE BUTTONS ARE USELESS IF THE TOPICS AREN'T IN THE CORRECT ORDER!!!!
>Doesn't Borland sell a C++ product, and doesn't IT come with help files for
>WIN32?  Why didn't they just copy them, since they didn't convert them to
>pascal anyways.
>I am really curious (and Steve T., maybe you can answer this), WHO at Borland
>is responsible for these Help files.  How does this stuff get so screwed up
>and fall all the way through the cracks (actually gaping holes)?
>Please answer, I'm really curious.
>-Ben Ziegler

Actually doesn't Borland have to license the win32.hlp from MicroSoft.
If they didn't they would be in for a big law suit, what with retyping
the WIN32 SDK manuals into a help file.

--Keith
"C:\Windows C:\Windows\Go C:\PC\Crawl"

Re:Borland's New WIN32 Help File: I'm laughing so hard I'm cryin'

Keith Hawes wrote:

[...]

> Actually doesn't Borland have to license the win32.hlp from MicroSoft.
> If they didn't they would be in for a big law suit, what with retyping
> the WIN32 SDK manuals into a help file.

        Hey, this explains it: They're not retyping anything, they're using
scanner and OCR!

--
David Ullrich
Sig file accidentally deleted - sorry.