Board index » delphi » AMD K6 200mhz Processor Shenanigans

AMD K6 200mhz Processor Shenanigans

We have our app installed in about 100 sites. 2 sites with AMD K6 200mhz
processors are having a strange problem. With a dbgrid attached to a paradox
database of start and end dates the dates sometimes display 1 day ahead of
the actual date in the database. The same app on another computer looking at
the same data across the network displays the dates correctly.
This also happens with the standard calendar component. If you click on a
date it will hilight the date then hilight the day previous (this happens on
about half of the dates).

The regional settings are the same (PCs are win95). It appears as if the
floating point equivalents of the dates have been rounded up or down
incorrectly. eg 13/10/1999 rounds to 12/10/1999 but 12/10/1999 remains ok.

Is this a problem with the processor? any windows 95 setting? any BDE
setting?

Thanks in advance,
Damian (Cluelessly mystified)

 

Re:AMD K6 200mhz Processor Shenanigans


Quote
Damian Tarnawsky wrote:

> With a dbgrid attached to a paradox
> database of start and end dates the dates sometimes display 1 day ahead of
> the actual date in the database.

Make a minimal one Form test app with DbGdid on it, and then connect
it to that Paradox database. This thing starts to be interesting only
if the Date still looks by one day different, than looked on the other
computers on that same network.

Quote
>If you click on a
>date it will hilight the date then hilight the day previous (this happens on
>about half of the dates).

What Delphi version? With D1 and Win95/98 there are sometimes some strange
focusing problems in DbGrids?  Could there be any reason to consider blaming
another manufacturer's Video adapters, or buggy drivers?

Quote
> The regional settings are the same (PCs are win95). It appears as if the
> floating point equivalents of the dates have been rounded up or down
> incorrectly. eg 13/10/1999 rounds to 12/10/1999 but 12/10/1999 remains ok.

The Date part in the floating point DateTime Field is saved in the
integer part, and floating point differences can not affect as much as
whole day.

Markku Nevalainen

Re:AMD K6 200mhz Processor Shenanigans


I have had no problems like this with our AMD K6-200 ...

--
Glenn Crouch mailto:gl...@esbconsult.com.au ICQ:36017076
Manager Software Development
ESB Consultancy, Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia
http://www.esbconsult.com.au
Home of ESBPCS, ESBStats, ESBPDF Analysis & ESBCalc
(TeamND,  TeamOE, {*word*60} Support, eLists Management Team)

Re:AMD K6 200mhz Processor Shenanigans


Damian,

Quote
> We have our app installed in about 100 sites. 2 sites with AMD K6 200mhz
> processors are having a strange problem. With a dbgrid attached to a
paradox
> database of start and end dates the dates sometimes display 1 day ahead of
> the actual date in the database. The same app on another computer looking
at
> the same data across the network displays the dates correctly.
> This also happens with the standard calendar component. If you click on a
> date it will hilight the date then hilight the day previous (this happens
on
> about half of the dates).

> The regional settings are the same (PCs are win95). It appears as if the
> floating point equivalents of the dates have been rounded up or down
> incorrectly. eg 13/10/1999 rounds to 12/10/1999 but 12/10/1999 remains ok.

> Is this a problem with the processor? any windows 95 setting? any BDE
> setting?

Don't know if it will help but there is a processor patch for win 95 and AMD
available at the AMD web site - might be worth checking...

Mat

Re:AMD K6 200mhz Processor Shenanigans


Thanks everyone,

I have solved the problem, The AMD Processor was a red herring. The problem
came about with the following line:

Canvas.Ellipse(BottomLeft.X + CircleDiameter * 2,BottomLeft.Y -
CircleDiameter, BottomLeft.X + CircleDiameter * 3, BottomLeft.Y);

which was being called as part of a calendar component to draw a circle in
the bottom corner of particular dates. I changed it to a rectangle as such:

 Canvas.Rectangle(BottomLeft.X + CircleDiameter * 2,BottomLeft.Y -
CircleDiameter, BottomLeft.X + CircleDiameter * 3, BottomLeft.Y);

and now it works properly. The dates dont go haywire elsewhere. I dont know
exactly why this caused the problem with dates on a dbgrid elsewhere but
everything works now and the client is happy.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Other Threads