Advantage Database Server vs SQL Server

Hi,

Does anybody have an opinion on Advantage Database Server vs SQL Server?

I've been working with ADS 6.0 and it seems to be a fanatastic product.

Thanks for any comments.

Bruce

Re:Advantage Database Server vs SQL Server

Sorry about the From: Borland Newsgroups.

I didn't understand what I was supposed to enter when
setting up for news server access to the Borland forums.

Hopefully it is corrected with this post. If not, well please
bear with me while I try to get it right.

Bruce Froemke

Re:Advantage Database Server vs SQL Server

Extended Systems has a number of comparisons on their website [I have found
them to be very unbiased]

You can also try the 207.70.7.8 newsserver, group=advantage.NT and ask
there.

My comments on Advantage;

1. The speed in general on one record/row insertions, etc. is many times
faster.
2. The StreamlineSQL is still in development and requires a lot of thought
as to query optimization. It is also not entirely SQL92+ compliant.

3. Utilizes databases/data dictionaries now, tables can be separated from
database and used locally [you also do NOT have to use database].

4.  Server and client are VERY small footprint/overhead.

If used correctly, I believe it is the fastest server on the planet. Also
there is a Kylix/Linux version coming out now too.

Brian

"Borland Newsgroups" <bru...@istal.com> wrote in message

> Hi,

> Does anybody have an opinion on Advantage Database Server vs SQL Server?

> I've been working with ADS 6.0 and it seems to be a fanatastic product.

> Thanks for any comments.

> Bruce

Re:Advantage Database Server vs SQL Server

Hi Bruce,

I use Advantage and I agree with you that it is a fantastic product.

I do not own SQL Server or Oracle but part of my work is with an Oracle DB
on a UNIX server (which is pretty fast). The folks I work with have 2 DBAs
and a UNIX admin person on staff for that system. I extract part of their
data for my system (running under Advantage).

I originally considered Oracle, but could not justify it's cost in my
software procurement budget ( under $20K for: Delphi,  few copies, File
Server, Netware OS, 3rd party components and training).

My only input to you for Advantage vs. MS SQL Server would be better cost
per seat and not requiring a DBA. Hopefully, other Advantage or MS SQL
Server users can chime in with more details.

Take care,

Ken

Borland Newsgroups wrote:
> Hi,

> Does anybody have an opinion on Advantage Database Server vs SQL Server?

> I've been working with ADS 6.0 and it seems to be a fanatastic product.

> Thanks for any comments.

> Bruce

Re:Advantage Database Server vs SQL Server

> Does anybody have an opinion on Advantage Database Server vs SQL Server?

http://www.advantagedatabase.com/NR/rdonlyres/CEBDB944-7563-11D5-8C1C...
332C10/performance_benchmarks.pdf

Other Threads