Convert Excel 5.0 file to Excel 4.0 2nd Try

Does anybody know how to perform this task with Delphi 1.0.
Is there an MS DLL that stores this process?
Any help is appreciated very much.

Thanks
Spoon...@ix.netcom.com

Re:Convert Excel 5.0 file to Excel 4.0 2nd Try

Excel 5->4

> Does anybody know how to perform this task with Delphi 1.0.
> Is there an MS DLL that stores this process?
> Any help is appreciated very much.

As to the existance of an MS DLL, I have no information.

You might be able to buy filters from DataViz or Mastersoft to do the
conversion, but they have a very low quality level (especially for
spreadsheets).

If you need a very accurate translation, buy the Excel books from MS which
cover the Excel file format (Microsoft Excel Developers Kit: call 800 759
5474 or visit your bookstore. You'll need both the first and the second
edition of the book), and do the conversion yourself. The documentation is
professionally done and will get you thru to the other side, but be warned
that much of the info is only partially correct; I know from experience
that you have to test everything they say in the book by making a bunch of
test docs, and finding out for yourself what info they left out. Note that
Excel 5 file format uses OLE, but I don't think reading OLE files is a
problem in Delphi 1.0.

Finally, I'm pretty sure you can do a "save as" in Excel 5 to get Excel 4
format. Wouldn't that be easier?

Ed Eichman
Cambrils, Spain

Other Threads