Media Player 9 style taskbar button

Hi

Does anyone have any hints or ideas on how to customize an application
taskbar button like in Windows media player 9, ie with buttons and
controls. Im no expert programmer but i dont see how it can be very
hard.

Cheers...
Dave

Re:Media Player 9 style taskbar button

If I understand you correctly, you want an app with fancy buttons, right?
Well have you tried putting images on your form and catching mouse click or
mouse down events on them? If your button should be sound, you could use the
mouse down event to check if X and Y coordinates are actually inside the hot
area.

The other possibility is to check out the delphi super page at
http://community.borland.com/homepages/dsp/ (or similar delphi sites) for
custom components such as rounded buttons.

Regards
John Bester

"David" <mammothma...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi

> Does anyone have any hints or ideas on how to customize an application
> taskbar button like in Windows media player 9, ie with buttons and
> controls. Im no expert programmer but i dont see how it can be very
> hard.

> Cheers...
> Dave

Re:Media Player 9 style taskbar button

TO clarify, a "Taskbar" is the bar at the bottom of your desktop. A
"taskbar button" is the button representing your application. In
Windows Media Player 9, they have managed to put buttons and controls
with this button, which looks mighty fine and is darn handy.

ANy ideas?
Cheers
dave

Re:Media Player 9 style taskbar button

My apologies. In any case, I did some searching with a tool I wrote some
time ago - it allows me to search windows and enumerate their children. I
got as far as the actual toolbar which holds the application buttons /
icons, but it does not have any children. I was hoping that each button on
the taskbar is represented by a button or window of some sort, but as far as
I could make out, they do not each have a handle - at least not one I could
get to using the Windows API. The captions you see on the task bar are
nowhere to be found if you enumerate all the windows on the desktop. So I am
assuming that the actual toolbar used to display these buttons handles
painting of all of them. If this is the case, then it makes it extremely
difficult (and maybe even impossible) to find out where they are painted. It
is known that Microsoft has in the past linked some of their packages very
closely into the OS, and my guess would be that this is what happened in
this case. Otherwise I am sure someone else would have come up with the
idea. (When I wrote the utility, I spent hours studying the the results I
got, and I am sure I would have picked up these buttons back then if it was
at all possible).

--
Regards

John Bester
mailto:john.bes...@adept.co.za

> TO clarify, a "Taskbar" is the bar at the bottom of your desktop. A
> "taskbar button" is the button representing your application. In
> Windows Media Player 9, they have managed to put buttons and controls
> with this button, which looks mighty fine and is darn handy.

> ANy ideas?
> Cheers
> dave

Re:Media Player 9 style taskbar button

It

> is known that Microsoft has in the past linked some of their packages very
> closely into the OS, and my guess would be that this is what happened in
> this case.

Hmmm interesting. That's exactly what i was thinking. I'm fairly sure
they would of hauled a few of the Windows engineers into the Media
Player design office at some stage during production, as it seems to
be a function very deeply linked to the OS.

Thanks very much for your help
Dave

Other Threads