Debugging traces Windows Messages instead of code flow...

D7 Personal :

WHen I use F7 (step into) while debugging, because I implemented some
Windows Messages Hook (like WM_ERASEBACKGROUND), I just can't step into the
call of subfunctions, as Windows makes a call to the hook when the de{*word*81}
refreshes the Application display...

Clear enough I hope...

Suggestions welcomed !

DH

Re:Debugging traces Windows Messages instead of code flow...

David HAROUCHE wrote:
> D7 Personal :

> WHen I use F7 (step into) while debugging, because I implemented some
> Windows Messages Hook (like WM_ERASEBACKGROUND), I just can't step
> into the call of subfunctions, as Windows makes a call to the hook
> when the de{*word*81} refreshes the Application display...

> Clear enough I hope...

> Suggestions welcomed !

Debugging code called from paint methods that are triggered by messages
is nearly impossible using breakpoints and stepping. But you can log to
a file just fine, or call OutputDebugString to log messages to the IDEs
event log, or use a more sophisticated tracing tool like Raize CodeSite
to log messages and values to a separate debug watcher application.
That also gives you more realistic code timings.

--
Peter Below (TeamB)
use the newsgroup archives :

Re:Debugging traces Windows Messages instead of code flow...

THX

DH

Other Threads