BLOB Fields in a Table

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998 14:17:08 +0200, Theunis de Jongh wrote:
>field. Surely this is fine for run-time behaviour of the app, but is it
>necessary for table creation ?

Blob fields can be *anything* so a generic table editor doesn't make a
lot of sense. Writing code to fill the blobs with exactly the data you
want is the way to do it.

sig://boB/TeamB

Re:BLOB Fields in a Table

Hello
I recently asked a similar question, but anyway here goes :
 When I create a table using Database Desktop in Delphi3, I can add data
to alphanumeric fields
 i.e Name etc, but not for BLOB fields. I want a table that stores
graphic images of people, but so far the only way I know of how to store
graphics in a table is to run a program and assign an image to each
field. Surely this is fine for run-time behaviour of the app, but is it
necessary for table creation ?
TIA
t...@mweb.co.za

Re:BLOB Fields in a Table

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998 14:17:08 +0200, Theunis de Jongh <tdejo...@icon.co.za>
wrote:

>I recently asked a similar question, but anyway here goes :
> When I create a table using Database Desktop in Delphi3, I can add data
>to alphanumeric fields
> i.e Name etc, but not for BLOB fields. I want a table that stores
>graphic images of people, but so far the only way I know of how to store
>graphics in a table is to run a program and assign an image to each
>field. Surely this is fine for run-time behaviour of the app, but is it
>necessary for table creation ?

The Database Desktop utility (DBD) is an outdated tool for working on
tables and data. You should be using the Database Explorer (DBX) instead.
The DBX utility provides access to memo and BLOB data, whereas the DBD does
not.

Navigate to the table in the DBX such that the data is visible in the right
pane. Select the menu item View|Blob Explorer (or click the corresponding
speed bar button). The Blob Explorer window will display any existing image
data and allow you to paste new data into the field.

Steve Koterski                 "What is success in this world? I would say
Technical Publications         it consists of four simple things: to live
INPRISE Corporation            a lot, to love a lot, to laugh a lot, and
http://www.inprise.com/delphi  from it all, to learn a lot."
                                                     -- Richard J. Needham

Other Threads