Compiling IDL to TLB : MIDL mandatory ?

Hi,

I need to compile IDLs to TLBs on the fly on several machines in our team.
Is MIDL (from Microsoft) mandatory to do that ? It requires a C compiler to
be installed on every machine...

Delphi provides TlibImp to import TLBs into IDLs, but nothing for the
contrary ?

if MIDL is mandatory, could anyone tell me what switches are required to
produce the same TLBs as Delphi?

Philippe Duclos    Phone   +33 1 42 13 87 37
                   Fax     +33 1 42 13 60 78
Societe Generale   Email   mailto:Philippe.Duc...@socgen.com
INFI/SGOP/R&D      Web     http://www.socgen.com

Re:Compiling IDL to TLB : MIDL mandatory ?

> I need to compile IDLs to TLBs on the fly on several machines in our team.
> Is MIDL (from Microsoft) mandatory to do that ? It requires a C compiler
> be installed on every machine...

Not strictly true I don't think.  Unless things have changed, I once used
MIDL to create TLB's for use with Java objects - no C/C++ anywhere near the
machine.

I think the real problem is that the MIDL compiler is only distributed by MS
with C/C++ / DevStudio.  I vaguely recall there being some command line
switches related to C / C++ too.  Hmmm.... so long ago.  :)

> Delphi provides TlibImp to import TLBs into IDLs, but nothing for the
> contrary ?

Well, since you can edit a type library as "native" IDL in the "Text" tab of
the type library editor (either for a selected member or for the whole
library), I guess you could paste the IDL source into that panel of the
editor?

Hardly elegant, and I've not tried it myself but I can't see why it
_wouldn't_ work.

FYI: I often use the text / IDL view to re-order elements of the type
library and find it can be quicker to use the text view for adding lots of
members to, for example, enumerations, and sorting out dispatch ID's (just
remember to enable your brains "hex" converter!) etc.

Hope this helps,

PS.  *Please* Borland - Version 5 - do something about the type library
editor will-ya??!)

Other Threads