Re: Discussion: "Why Visual Studion 2005 is better then BDS 2006?"

2006-09-21 08:32:09 PM
delphi100
frank writes:
The only feature to use BDS in .Net where I think is better that VS is ECO,
if VS had ECO I will use VS all time.

I am waiting for linq, if VS release some product like ECO I think will be a
hard strike to borland.

Combine LINQ with WWF and you come to something different, but not that different. ;-)

"Robert Giesecke" writes:

Combine LINQ with WWF and you come to something different, but not that
different. ;-)
No No Robert - it is absolutely forbidden to call it WWF which could easily
get confused with the World Wrestling Federation, Microsoft has mandated
that it simply be called WF. <RBG>

I.P. Nichols writes:
"Robert Giesecke" writes:
>Combine LINQ with WWF and you come to something different, but not that
>different. ;-)

No No Robert - it is absolutely forbidden to call it WWF which could easily
get confused with the World Wrestling Federation, Microsoft has mandated
that it simply be called WF. <RBG>

I'll better keep that in mind... *g*

"I.P. Nichols" writes:

No No Robert - it is absolutely forbidden to call it WWF which could easily
get confused with the World Wrestling Federation, Microsoft has mandated
that it simply be called WF. <RBG>
Oh I forgot to mention that a new feature in WinFX was to be named Windows
Theme Foundation but WTF got quickly dropped for obvious reasons. ;-)

Peter Morris [Droopy eyes software] writes:
>No it doesn't. BDS uses the 1.1 designer for .net apps. VS uses the
>2.0 designer. (And I meant to compare it with the native designer.)

But that is asking "is Microsoft's 2.0 designer better than their 1.1
designer?". In answer, I hope so!
It's better in many ways, but it is also less stable.
--
Mike Swaim XXXX@XXXXX.COM at home | Quote: "Boingie"^4 Y,W & D
MD Anderson Dept. of Biostatistics & Applied Mathematics

Re: Discussion: "Why Visual Studion 2005 is better then BDS 2006?"

"Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft)" <serge [AT] dragonsoftru [DoT] com>wrote in
message news:45117774$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
To go behind a front of the statement we need to figure out what exactly
makes VS2005 better then BDS2006.
OK - confining myself purely to the IDE, and off the top of my head, I would
say:
1) Online, context sensitive help which is (a) quick to appear (b)
encyclopedic in scope (c) accurate and (d) up to date.
2) Rich design-time support. For example, click a property or event in the
VS.NET property inspector and you will see a hint string telling you what that
property or event does.
3) Highly interactive Intellisense support. You only need to hover the
cursor over a called .NET method in the code editor and a hint window will
appear, telling you what that method does and how many overloads it has.
BDS has something similar - it tells you what params a method takes and what
function type is returned, but it doesn't actually tell you what it does.
Same for typing. Much of the time, Borland's equiv of IntelliSense slumbers
until a period is typed. In contrast, IntelliSense responds to every
character you type and instantly refines the available choices. Peter
Morris mentions this in an earlier post.
4) .NET 2.0. Not just supported by the IDE, but positively embraced,
kissed, caressed and devoured by the IDE. Read that as more rich
design-time support if you like. :-)
5) The deeply beautiful de{*word*81}. A thing of beauty and a joy forever.
Really nice drill-down inspection of complex variable types.
6) Personality! The Borland IDE, as far as I can tell, has a number of
fixed personality modules created by Borland. VS.NET, on the other hand,
has an incredibly rich VSIP system which used to cost loads of dosh but is
now free. It makes it possible for third-parties to add plug-in support not
just for experts, profilers, and the like, but ADD COMPLETE NEW LANGUAGES to
the IDE without help from Microsoft. Think Chrome, for example. I remember
how Mark Miller was in hog-heaven when he moved from Borland's Open Tools
(the really interesting bits were never "Open" - see past articles in my
beating the System column in TDM) to VS.NET, and you 'gotta admit,
CodeRush.NET is the rather impressive result.
7) Dare I mention CodeRush.NET? No? Ok, I will shut up then. ;-)
Dave

Re: Discussion: "Why Visual Studion 2005 is better then BDS 2006?"

No No Robert - it is absolutely forbidden to call it WWF which could easily
get confused with the World Wrestling Federation, Microsoft has mandated
that it simply be called WF. <RBG>
If know the panda WWF:
www.wwf.org/
but wrestling? Is there enough of that comedy genre outside the US to
warrant an world federation? ^_^
Eric

I.P. Nichols writes:

Oh I forgot to mention that a new feature in WinFX was to be named Windows
Theme Foundation but WTF got quickly dropped for obvious reasons. ;-)

hehe...
We all know that MS is a *very* good candidate for patenting/licensing/whatsoevering "the daily WTF"... *g*

I.P. Nichols writes:
"lurkio" wrote :
>I.P. Nichols writes:
>
>>There you go again, endlessly blabber about how inadequate Mono is
>As you well know by now, I am like Pavlov's dog when I see
>that word Mono :-)

Yes I have noticed your incessant salivation and mad-dog like behavior at the
mere mention of Mono. ;-)

I cannot find that funny! What if he is allergic? *g*

Re: Discussion: "Why Visual Studion 2005 is better then BDS 2006?"

Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft) writes:
I was told on several occasions that "Visual Studio 2005 is better then BDS
2006 as of now".
I like that I can create folders however I would like in the Solution
Explorer. I can visually group different portions of my project
hierarchically. You can "technically" do this with your projects in the
Delphi IDE, but it isn't intuitive (you must make the folders outside of
the IDE) and then the IDE can not find units, especially using form/frame
inheritance, and you end up not being able to open A form without first
opening B, C, and D.

Re: Discussion: "Why Visual Studion 2005 is better then BDS 2006?"

"Adam Markowitz [Borland]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in news:45123cf9
$XXXX@XXXXX.COM:
BDS 2006 does this for Delphi and C++, but does not yet do this for
C#.
Now is the time to impress us with your mad templating skilz.
--
Iman

Robert Giesecke writes:
I.P. Nichols writes:
>"lurkio" wrote :
>>I.P. Nichols writes:
>>
>>>There you go again, endlessly blabber about how inadequate Mono is
>>As you well know by now, I am like Pavlov's dog when I see
>>that word Mono :-)
>
>Yes I have noticed your incessant salivation and mad-dog like behavior
>at the mere mention of Mono. ;-)

I cannot find that funny! What if he is allergic? *g*
I think you might be on to something there, Robert ;-)

"Robert Giesecke" writes:
I.P. Nichols writes:
>"lurkio" wrote :
>>I.P. Nichols writes:
>>
>>>There you go again, endlessly blabber about how inadequate Mono is
>>As you well know by now, I am like Pavlov's dog when I see
>>that word Mono :-)
>
>Yes I have noticed your incessant salivation and mad-dog like behavior at
>the mere mention of Mono. ;-)

I cannot find that funny! What if he is allergic? *g*
I get your point and I hereby add scratching and red eyes to my list of
observations. ;-)

David Clegg writes:
Bob writes:

>One I'd like to add to the list, is the snappy'ness of the VS
>IDE. To me, it feels more responsive (quick).

Can I swap with you? My copy of VS2005 Professional feels nowhere near
as snappy as my copy of BDS 2006 Architect when run on the same
machine.
I must admit, the VS projects I have done are a much smaller scale than
my Delphi projects, so the snappy'ness is probably not an appropriate
comparison.
However, I must say, I have one medium-large app in VCL.NET using a
large third party grid system (with a lot of components). And this
application is almost uneditable in Delphi. As I am typing, the CPU
will raise to 80% for each character. In some cases it can be 1-3
seconds before the character I typed will appear. When I press the
Compile key, it can take up to 5 seconds for the Compile box to appear.
This to me is unacceptable. This is the only area where Delphi is
sluggish for me. Win32 stuff is very good now with the hotfixes.
--

Re: Discussion: "Why Visual Studion 2005 is better then BDS 2006?"

Dave Nottage [TeamB] writes:
So you're not bound to the MS vendor toolchain by using WinForms?
IMO, as much as one is when choosing to develop applications for .NET
itself.
--
Brian Moelk
Brain Endeavor LLC