Re: Delphi 2007 Trial installation - lost five hours (and my confidencein CG)

2007-05-31 04:46:43 AM
delphi108
Reader writes:
I think you will have the same messy installation with Turbo Delphi
2007 too, as the IDE needs the .NET and other stuff.
How can you possibly conclude that the OPs download extraction problem
had anything to do with .NET? In fact if I was a betting man, I would wager
that the installer's extraction of the downloaded compressed files
(possibly due to a corrupt or incomplete download) is more likely to be
at blame. An installer I might add which is written in Delphi Win32.
<sheesh>
The .NET "cooties" phenomenon really is OTT here at times. Next people
will be claiming it is responsible for global warming, World poverty,
and Britney Spears.
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

David Clegg writes:
The .NET "cooties" phenomenon really is OTT here at times. Next people
will be claiming it is responsible for global warming, World poverty,
and Britney Spears.
Don't know if .Net has the cooties, but Spears certainly does. What a waste
of skin.
--
Wayne Niddery - Winwright, Inc (www.winwright.ca)
Working for yourself is great because you get to work half days, and

Re: Delphi 2007 Trial installation - lost five hours (and my confidencein CG)

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:
In fairness, it is possible that "Reader" meant the .NET SDK, (as
opposed to the framework) which really does make installation messier.
Yeah, that thought did cross my mind. But I sent my message anyway, as
the phrase "Extraction of installation data downloaded from the web has
failed" tended to suggest that the web download and extraction logic is
to blame.
I'm not sure whether it is still the case, but the version of
InstallAware that I have supports extra compression of the .NET runtime
installers. So I don't think it is unreasonable to assume that the
version that CodeGear uses also supports this, and that they would be
able to apply this feature to the .NET SDK installer as well. This is
why I went with my assumption that .NET is quite probably an innocent
party here (discounting the fact that it had to be downloaded and
extracted in the first place), and the real problem occurred during the
InstallAware download and extraction process of the SDK installer (if
it is even that portion of the install that is corrupt, which it may
well not be).
In summary, there is nowhere near enough evidence to think that the
IDEs reliance on .NET for some features has anything to do with the
original posters problem. But I guess this is non-tech, where we don't
let facts get in the way of a good witch hunt.
--

Wayne Niddery [TeamB] writes:
Don't know if .Net has the cooties, but Spears certainly does. What a
waste of skin.
Our local Pay TV provider recently got a rap over the knuckles for a
billboard showing "that photo" with a pair of undies drawn on, with the
slogan "Something Everyone Wants To See". Apparently some people didn't
get the joke.
www.stuff.co.nz/4075926a1860.html