"Pinning" a watch expression

2006-07-21 11:54:08 PM
delphi10
01) I am debugging a form
02) My watch reads something like Textbox1.Text
03) I step into the code in another class I wrote
obviously at this point "Textbox1.Text" means nothing so it is invalid.
Wouldn't it be good if during step #01 I could click on the expression and
"pin" it. The context would be remembered and we could then continue to
step into lots of other lines of code and still see this value, so we can
see which line of code elsewhere changes the value.
--
Pete
====

Re:"Pinning" a watch expression

Peter Morris [Droopy eyes software] writes:
obviously at this point "Textbox1.Text" means nothing so it is
invalid. Wouldn't it be good if during step #01 I could click on the
expression and "pin" it.
Better still if you could configure it to remember all the discrete
values of a given watched item.
Everything You Need to Know About InterBase Character Sets:
blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/articles/403.aspx

Re:"Pinning" a watch expression

How about if when an exception is thrown, the variables in the local
scope still return their values so you can see what's in them? Are is
this already available?

Phillip Woon writes:
How about if when an exception is thrown, the variables in the local
scope still return their values so you can see what's in them? Are is
this already available?
I second that! It is a PITA that it doesn't show them. However, if you
step one more line it then shows the values. This is completely
unintuitive. Some may describe this as a "feature" but I reckon it is a
bug that needs to be fixed.
One other thing I would like to see in the de{*word*81} is a good way of viewing
collection contents. Oh, and something similar to Visual Studio's
custom debug viewers (if that is what they're called).
Cheers,
Kevin.