Re: Congrats CodeGear!

Nick Hodges (Borland/DTG) writes:
Larry Maturo writes:

>Nothing has really changed.

Everything is different. We are a totally separate company with our
own CEO and board of directors. We are now, as of today, making our
own decisions about products, marketing, sales, roadmaps, etc.
Money?
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re: Congrats CodeGear!

Herbert Sitz writes:

Totally separate? Isn't CodeGear a subsidiary wholly-owned by
Borland?
Yes, but like most subsidiaries, we are a separate company, making our
own decisions and running things the way we see fit.
I'm fully aware that while /we/ see this immediately, you all may take
more time to see it.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi/C# Product Manager - Borland DTG

Re: Congrats CodeGear!

... (omg) "Dungeon" <GGG>. The clang of hammers, the screech and fizzle of
metalwork, the smell of oil and grease, yes even exhaust gas... the roars of
tweaking the Turbo dragon's engine... etc.
Well, I am not so much into fixing a broken car, when I want to drive it. I
prefer getting busy on implementing my ideas, understanding the details is nice,
working with them is not.
The names CodeGear and Delphi IMO show a different spirit, and I much more
prefer the Delphi-spirit.
AppBuilder as name is awfull.
I see programming as an art not as a craft and as such I find CodeGear horrible.
Makes me think of the film of Charlie Chaplin and the conveyor belt instead of
an artist calling the power of the ancient gods ;-)

Re: Congrats CodeGear!

"Nick Hodges (Borland/DTG)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Larry Maturo writes:

>Nothing has really changed.

/Everything/ is different. We are a totally separate company with our
own CEO and board of directors. We are now, as of today, making our
own decisions about products, marketing, sales, roadmaps, etc.

Totally separate? Isn't CodeGear a subsidiary wholly-owned by Borland?
I understand there will be some additional independence, but it still scares
me that Borland can pull the plug if performance of CodeGear the company is
not what Borland considers up to snuff.
Yes, that worry would have existed even if DevCo had been sold, but I'd
prefer to have CodeGear owned by someone that is e{*word*277}d to be in the
business. Borland by its own admission wanted out, and sure they can spin
things now but it is obvious they would have sold if someone had ponied up
the cash.
Having said all that, I wish CodeGear and all the guys working there best of
luck. I don't plan to move from Delphi unless I am forced to.
-- Herb Sitz

Re: Congrats CodeGear!

Hannes Danzl[NDD] writes:
Any immediate changes that we have to expect? New web page? News
servers? Will the prodcuts be renamed to e.g. CodeGear Delphi instead
of Borland Delphi?

Anyways congrats and good luck! Looking forward to work with you guys.
Well, it is a good thing we have Turbo Delphi, etc
--

Herbert Sitz writes:

>Totally separate? Isn't CodeGear a subsidiary wholly-owned by
>Borland?

Yes, but like most subsidiaries, we are a separate company, making our
own decisions and running things the way we see fit.

I'm fully aware that while /we/ see this immediately, you all may take
more time to see it.

Yes, but because CodeGear is going to be owned by Borland there's obviously
a limit to what you can do.
Borland didn't see a big future in developer tools, they're not going to
keep a money-losing subsidiary around for long.
Another owner might have provided an infusion of capital for development and
been more forgiving about losses as DeCo ramped up as a new company.
Somehow I suspect that is not going to be case with Borland as owner.
-- Herb

Re: Congrats CodeGear!

Nick Hodges (Borland/DTG) writes:
Everything is different. We are a totally separate company with our
own CEO and board of directors. We are now, as of today, making our
own decisions about products, marketing, sales, roadmaps, etc.
Nick, congratulations to you and the rest of the staff at CodeGear. I
will lift a glass of wine this evening in celebration of the new. I am
certain that there are exciting days ahead.
--
David Farrell-Garcia
Whidbey Island Software, LLC

Re: Congrats CodeGear!

David Farrell-Garcia writes:
Nick, congratulations to you and the rest of the staff at CodeGear. I
will lift a glass of wine this evening in celebration of the new. I
am certain that there are exciting days ahead.
Thanks very much -- and I agree. ;-)
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi/C# Product Manager - CodeGear
blogs.borland.com/nickhodges

Re: Congrats CodeGear!

JohnE writes:
Go CodeGear!!!!
And the cool part? Folks that work for Borland are Borlanders. Folks
that work for IBM are IBMers. Folks that work for Microsoft are
Microsofties.
Folks that work for CodeGear are CodeCogs. ;-)
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi/C# Product Manager - CodeGear
blogs.borland.com/nickhodges

Re: Congrats CodeGear!

>Nothing has really changed.

/Everything/ is different. We are a totally separate company with our
own CEO and board of directors. We are now, as of today, making our
own decisions about products, marketing, sales, roadmaps, etc.
Dig the name!
Go CodeGear!!!!

Re: Congrats CodeGear!

Herbert Sitz writes:
Borland didn't see a big future in developer tools, they're not going to
keep a money-losing subsidiary around for long.
If Borland thought the tools were a losing proposition, wouldn't it have
been easier just to close the product line rather than exerting the time
and money to spin-off a subsidiary?
We were told in this group by speculators that Borland was selling off
DTG just get some quick cash to fund ALM, and they had no interest in
doing anything with the tools. Now, when they stand by their sale
criteria and refuse to accept the first offer to come around, which
would have given them the quick cash they were accused of seeking,
people draw up new {*word*97} theories. This is non-tech.
Another owner might have provided an infusion of capital for development and
been more forgiving about losses as DeCo ramped up as a new company.
Somehow I suspect that is not going to be case with Borland as owner.
Maybe Borland will throw some of the giant ALM profits they have been
forecasting to CodeGear since they have an interest in seeing CodeGear
prosper.

Re: Congrats CodeGear!

Reading all the news and all responses and all people commenting on it.
And I think: well OK, let's give it a chance. Congrats! Good luck! You
need it, we need it.
Willem

Re: Congrats CodeGear!

JohnE writes:
And your customers are GearOil :-)
Perfect! ;-)
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi/C# Product Manager - CodeGear
blogs.borland.com/nickhodges

Re: Congrats CodeGear!

And the cool part? Folks that work for Borland are Borlanders. Folks
that work for IBM are IBMers. Folks that work for Microsoft are
Microsofties.

Folks that work for CodeGear are CodeCogs. ;-)
And your customers are GearOil :-)
John

<455a7445$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>

Yes, but like most subsidiaries, we are a separate company, making our
own decisions and running things the way we see fit.
Unless you run into money problems, in which case the parent will get very
involved.
--
***Free Your Mind***
Posted with JSNewsreader Preview 0.9.4.2955