Are you using QualityCentral yet?

If you are not using QualityCentral, you should be. If you are using
QualityCentral, be sure to report everything you care about for Borland
products.
QualityCentral works:
blogs.borland.com/johnk/archive/2006/01/12/22742.aspx
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

Re:Are you using QualityCentral yet?

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
If you are not using QualityCentral, you should be. If you are using
QualityCentral, be sure to report everything you care about for
Borland products.

QualityCentral works:

blogs.borland.com/johnk/archive/2006/01/12/22742.aspx
Some time ago, if a remeber well, you say maybe Borland release QC for
private use of developers. Some advance in that?
Donald.

Re:Are you using QualityCentral yet?

What's happens John? We are running out of bugs... :-)
Saludos
Sebastian
"John Kaster (Borland)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>escribi?en el mensaje

Donald Shimoda writes:
Some time ago, if a remeber well, you say maybe Borland release QC for
private use of developers. Some advance in that?
FWIW, it wasn't that long ago. I haven't done anything to bring that
further right now. Working on other BDN issues, sorry.
--

Sebastian Ledesma [Solidyne Labs] writes:
What's happens John? We are running out of bugs... :-)
Put in feature requests <g>
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
Have questions?: www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
Donald Shimoda writes:

>Some time ago, if a remeber well, you say maybe Borland release QC
>for private use of developers. Some advance in that?

FWIW, it wasn't that long ago. I haven't done anything to bring that
further right now. Working on other BDN issues, sorry.
Yeas you are rigth, just wanna know if that will happen some day. :)
That will be great.
Donald.

Donald Shimoda writes:
Yeas you are rigth, just wanna know if that will happen some day. :)
I can not guarantee it will happen some day. We certainly have the
capability of offering it. I just don't know if we will. QC-like
features are also found in StarTeam and CaliberRM, and Borland Tempo
changes the landscape even more.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
If it is not here, it is not happening: ec.borland.com

Re:Are you using QualityCentral yet?

I can not guarantee it will happen some day. We certainly have the
capability of offering it. I just don't know if we will. QC-like
features are also found in StarTeam and CaliberRM, and Borland Tempo
changes the landscape even more.
I would have thought you'd have to look at whether it makes commercial sense
and ask what business model to use etc, as you'd still have costs for
developing it, providing support, fixing bugs etc if you make it available
for others to use professionally.
That's the way I would do it anyway - otherwise it would just become an
open-ended cost for Borland rather than covering itself.
I'd go for a cheap monthly (or other block of time) rental model, like web
site hosting. Pay X$ per month and get QC tailored to your company
(including html templates for it to match the client companies website site
look and feel), and support.
And if no-one is prepared to pay a $15 or $30 / month (or whatever) for it,
you'd have to wonder if it is that important/useful to people.
I guess you'd want to provide StarTeam / Calibre RM integration as well.
But probably you've thought through all this already.
Lauchlan M

Lauchlan M writes:
I would have thought you'd have to look at whether it makes
commercial sense and ask what business model to use etc, as you'd
still have costs for developing it, providing support, fixing bugs
etc if you make it available for others to use professionally.
of course.
But probably you've thought through all this already.
Good guess ;)
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
If it is not here, it is not happening: ec.borland.com

Re:Are you using QualityCentral yet?

No, here is why...
I tried to use QualityCentral for the first time yesterday. After
launching the client from the BDS2006 Tools menu, and after entering BDN
user name and password the client crashed. In fact, no matter what I
entered it crashed.
Next I tried to log into the web client. It says I can enter my normal
BDN username and pswd, but it always says 'Login failed' if I do that.
If I try and use my email addr and quality central password (which I
set), then the web app crashes.
Simon.

Lauchlan M writes:
>I can not guarantee it will happen some day. We certainly have the
>capability of offering it. I just don't know if we will. QC-like
>features are also found in StarTeam and CaliberRM, and Borland Tempo
>changes the landscape even more.

I would have thought you'd have to look at whether it makes
commercial sense and ask what business model to use etc, as you'd
still have costs for developing it, providing support, fixing bugs
etc if you make it available for others to use professionally.

IMHO have no sense use it if Borland want a fee from dveelopers for use
it. All the time i hope they release that like many other things they
do to help a better life for the developer community. Sadly, last times
seems like every thing Borland will give to developers must have a
direct ROI. I understand that come in love to inverstors, but i dont
think will guarnatee love from developers, like in tha past was.
Now i see clearly, if Starteam have thse ames features, borland never
will release a free option to a puyed one, and that have sense.
I will continue using CVS and Bugzilla for quality improve. Anyway the
time show us many times even a tool like QC can not guarantee a good
product release.
Donald.

Re:Are you using QualityCentral yet?

IMHO have no sense use it if Borland want a fee from dveelopers for use
it. All the time i hope they release that like many other things they
do to help a better life for the developer community. Sadly, last times
seems like every thing Borland will give to developers must have a
direct ROI. I understand that come in love to inverstors, but i dont
think will guarnatee love from developers, like in tha past was.
Yes, but the situation used to be that Borland management didn't really
endorse these initiatives, and John Kaster made them happen with his own
efforts pretty much on his own time (i.e. in addition to his existing
duties).
While John now has, I believe, some additional funding to hire some more
people to outsource some of the work, I doubt he can keep on piling on the
workload for this initiative without also ramping up the funding. Now,
Borland could ramp up the funding for a free service, and you seem to
suggest they should, but what is far more likely to 'fly' is an arrangement
where the initiative funds itself, and maybe brings in some small extra
income to fund further similar projects.
And, in my opinion, if the putative customers want the service for free but
are not willing to pay for it, it does not necessarily make sense (from a
business point of view) to provide it. it is a lot of effort for very little
return - there are other ways to work on developer relations, e.g. by
producing more Camtasia articles and improving the Delphi 2006
documentation. By charging for the QC service you suggest, Borland will be
(i) obligated to take it seriously and provide a professional
product/service (ii) attract a class of customer that takes the
product/service seriously and values it. And if no-one buys it, they can
simply discontinue it, citing lack of demand.
Lauchlan M

Lauchlan M writes:
And, in my opinion, if the putative customers want the service for
free but are not willing to pay for it, it does not necessarily make
sense (from a business point of view) to provide it.
IMHO, the old history about Borland relationship with customers say the
coposite. :) Im talking about TP times off course.
Just my .2 cents.
--

Re:Are you using QualityCentral yet?

Simon writes:
No, here is why...
Please post this to the qc newsgroup: borland.public.bdn.qualitycentral
How to ask questions the smart way:

Re:Are you using QualityCentral yet?

Simon writes:
No, here is why...
Bad luck and bad timing. There appear to be some hardware issues in our
data center right now. Sorry.