My rant about the "throw out delphi and re-write it in C#" crowd.

Just something I had to get off my chest because it is now impacted me
personally several times and I see the attitude also making inroads
into newsgroups and other development blogs.
randymagruder.blogspot.com
--

Re:My rant about the "throw out delphi and re-write it in C#" crowd.

I especially like "These are the guys that will tell you they can't
find any good Delphi developers locally, and then begin a nationwide
job search for C++ programmers."
Sad, but I saw it happen, and my jaw hit the floor when I found out...
Randy

Randy Magruder writes:
Just something I had to get off my chest because it is now impacted me
personally several times and I see the attitude also making inroads
into newsgroups and other development blogs.

randymagruder.blogspot.com
Great post!
I especially like "These are the guys that will tell you they can not find any
good Delphi developers locally, and then begin a nationwide job search for
C++ programmers."
"The two most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and
stupidity." - Harlan Ellison

Randy Magruder writes:
Just something I had to get off my chest because it is now impacted me
personally several times and I see the attitude also making inroads
into newsgroups and other development blogs
Very nice read, Randy. Thanks.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

Re:My rant about the "throw out delphi and re-write it in C#" crowd.

The IT Manager was impressed. The other guy was like "Well, I prefer
to write my own architecture". In other words, it didn't matter
whether we could interop or not. He wanted to do all this stuff that
MS is talking about like Application Data Blocks or what have you, and
all sorts of stuff, but my Manager liked it, and ultimately I won with
management, which was where it counted.
Randy
--
David Clegg writes:
Awesome post, Randy, and one that touches on an issue I have been in the
middle of myself.

"To prove a point to the C# bigot, I rebuilt the VCL unit into a 100%
managed .net assembly, and wrote a demonstration C# application which
uses that assembly to create and manipulate one of our customer
records and all its related data."

My experience when dealing with these types is that no evidence is
ever good enough, so I would be interested to hear how this was received.

Re:My rant about the "throw out delphi and re-write it in C#" crowd.

Thanks, John. My only hope is that Borland starts really talking up
this aspect of Delphi more :)
Randy
--
John Kaster (Borland) writes:
Randy Magruder writes:

>Just something I had to get off my chest because it is now impacted
>me personally several times and I see the attitude also making
>inroads into newsgroups and other development blogs

Very nice read, Randy. Thanks.

Re:My rant about the "throw out delphi and re-write it in C#" crowd.

Awesome post, Randy, and one that touches on an issue I have been in the
middle of myself.
"To prove a point to the C# bigot, I rebuilt the VCL unit into a 100%
managed .net assembly, and wrote a demonstration C# application which
uses that assembly to create and manipulate one of our customer records
and all its related data."
My experience when dealing with these types is that no evidence is ever
good enough, so I would be interested to hear how this was received.
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

"Randy Magruder" wrote on 3 Feb 2006 09:51:50 -0700:
randymagruder.blogspot.com
Great blog entry!
--
Brandon Staggs
www.swordsearcher.com

Re:My rant about the "throw out delphi and re-write it in C#" crowd.

Great post Randy! You hit the bullseye.

I am curious about a couple of things. Why did you choose to use C#
for .NET development over Delphi .NET? Would you use VCL.NET for new
projects?
Kyle,
It generally depends upon the project. I am a "right tool for the right
job" kind of guy. There are two issues with VCL.NET as I see it (as
far as new apps goes):
1. Shortage of ported third party components
2. No ECO Support for VCL.NET
When I was picking a component suite, I was leaning towards the
Developer Express stuff, but since they only ported the grid, I
couldn't get their toolbars, navbars, etc. I then spent the money on
their WinForms stuff, which is pretty good overall. However I would
have preferred to the do the app in ECO with VCL.NET with Devex.VCL.NET
components. That option just was simply not THERE. So now that I've
invested in those components, which work with C#/WinForms, I have been
doing the Eco Projects largely that way.
As far as the Delphi "language" goes, vs. C#, I am agnostic. I don't
really have a problem with either of them. So to me it is more about
the libraries and the framework. So I figured I may as well get my C#
skills up to speed and use C# since I was stuck with FCL and WinForms
anyway.
Since then, however, I see that LMD has a complete suite of VCL.NET
stuff, a lot of the TMS stuff is now VCL.NET, and there are a few other
VCL.NET vendors. So if I were doing it over and ECO wasn't a factor,
I'd probably use VCL.NET and those components. Right now I am in a
situation where the bed was made for me and now I am being forced to lie
in it (or spend a lot more money on components and throw out my ECO
code!)
Randy

Randy Magruder writes:
My only hope is that Borland starts really talking up
this aspect of Delphi more :)
Oh, we *talk* about it. We unfortunately don't *advertise* it.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
If it is not here, it is not happening: ec.borland.com

Re:My rant about the "throw out delphi and re-write it in C#" crowd.

Yeah, why is that? Delphi's like the best kept secret on the planet.
Most common snipe: "You develop with what?" ;-/
-Steve-
"John Kaster (Borland)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Randy Magruder writes:
It generally depends upon the project. I am a "right tool for the right
job" kind of guy. There are two issues with VCL.NET as I see it (as
far as new apps goes):
Thanks for the thorough answer. It sounds like you are using C# and ECO,
which means your C# work is in BDS. Very nice. :-)

Randy Magruder writes:
He wanted to do all this stuff that
MS is talking about like Application Data Blocks or what have you, and
all sorts of stuff, but my Manager liked it, and ultimately I won with
management, which was where it counted.
Great to hear it! Those battles are hard to win, so its excellent to
hear that victory is possible. :-)
--
Cheers,
David Clegg
QualityCentral. The best way to bug Borland about bugs.
qc.borland.com
"Note to self. Stop doing anything." - Homer Simpson

Re:My rant about the "throw out delphi and re-write it in C#" crowd.

Randy Magruder writes:
2. No ECO Support for VCL.NET
I really don't see that as much of a handicap. ECO can still be used
with VCL.NET, and it simply means you have to populate your GUI
elements manually. This is what I used to do until I discovered ECO,
and databinding no longer felt evil to me anymore. :-)
--
Cheers,
David Clegg
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Vote 1 cc.borland.com/codecentral/ccweb.exe/listing :-)
Now supports Google Groups searching with Dyna-extend(tm) technology!
QualityCentral. The best way to bug Borland about bugs.
qc.borland.com
"Here's to {*word*63} : The cause of, and answer to all of life's
problems." - Homer Simpson