Re: Problem with Installing Components in Delphi 7

2005-12-06 04:31:23 AM
delphi30
G. Bradley MacDonald writes:
Now - there are two of us here - and we both see that the path of the
BPL is in the Delphi Library path. Are we missing something?
Yeah. Runtime BPLs must be in Windows path.
--
Leonel

Re: Problem with Installing Components in Delphi 7

I have an interesting problem. To compile my client's app - I have had
to install a number of 3rd party components - however, I am having some
issues with two of them.
Both TRichView Actions and a forms designer give me problems AFTER I
install them.
So - I install the Run time - then the design time - life is GOOD. I
can compile my client's huge app.
HOWEVER, then I shut down Delphi and restart it - and on startup of
Delphi I then get an error telling me that says
"The application has failed to start because XXXx.bpl was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this problem"
Then
"Can't load package c:......BPL. The specified modulfe could not be
found. Do you want to attempt to load this package the next time a
project is loaded?"
Now - there are two of us here - and we both see that the path of the
BPL is in the Delphi Library path. Are we missing something?
Now - if I open up the component list - I see that the check mark beside
these two components is not checked - if I then try to check it - I get
basically the same message.
Now - If I then remove the package - and then just add it in using the
BPL - it works until I shut Delphi down again!!
Very frustrating. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be
causing this ??
--
G. Bradley MacDonald
bradley_AT_telus_DOT_net

Re: Problem with Installing Components in Delphi 7

In article <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
XXXX@XXXXX.COM says...
<snip of something I have been fighting for quite a while now>

Now - If I then remove the package - and then just add it in using the
BPL - it works until I shut Delphi down again!!

Very frustrating. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be
causing this ??

Brad, I wish I could say
<Mode="Shrek Donkey">
Pick Me! Pick Me! I know the answer!
</Mode>
But I can't. I haven't a clue. I have been fighting with this for a while
now. I posted to the TRichEdit support board and got support answer #5
"Doesn't happen on my machine"
I've put it on hold for the nonce, coz the client that uses it is pretty
stable. I have got other fish to fry...
--
John
Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts

Leonel writes:
>Now - there are two of us here - and we both see that the path of the
>BPL is in the Delphi Library path. Are we missing something?

Yeah. Runtime BPLs must be in Windows path.
Exactly. Best practice is usually to put the bpl in the default output
directory ($(DELPHI)\Projects\Bpl or $(BDSPROJECTSDIR)\Bpl depending on
version). The library path works for dcp, dcu and source files only.

Re: Problem with Installing Components in Delphi 7

In article <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, togniolli.@.gmail.com
says...
G. Bradley MacDonald writes:

>Now - there are two of us here - and we both see that the path of the
>BPL is in the Delphi Library path. Are we missing something?

Yeah. Runtime BPLs must be in Windows path.

Interesting. I agree with your statement - but it does not work. I
think perhaps this install of Delphi has become too corrupted <g>- so I
think I will reinstall Delphi.
Thank you for the reply!
--
G. Bradley MacDonald
bradley_AT_telus_DOT_net

Re: Problem with Installing Components in Delphi 7

Perhaps your path is too long. I have had that happen to me before.
Phillip
G. Bradley MacDonald writes:
In article <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, togniolli.@.gmail.com
says...

>G. Bradley MacDonald writes:
>

>>Now - there are two of us here - and we both see that the path of the
>>BPL is in the Delphi Library path. Are we missing something?
>>

>Yeah. Runtime BPLs must be in Windows path.

Interesting. I agree with your statement - but it does not work. I
think perhaps this install of Delphi has become too corrupted <g>- so I
think I will reinstall Delphi.

Thank you for the reply!

Re: Problem with Installing Components in Delphi 7

This is from our developer who got this working. Thought I'd post
it here to help others who might run into the problem.
1. Delphi keeps package history. So once you compiled and installed a
package, even though you removed it from the Component Package list, it
may still be around. I had to go into RegEdit and manually search and
delete the key entries.
2. Path Environment variable, I made sure it included $(DELPHI)\Projects
\Bpl
3. In the Environment Options / Library BPL and DCP output directory
options, I entered $(DELPHI)\Projects\Bpl for both. This indicates where
to dump the BPL and the DCP.
4. For each of the packages, I made sure the Project Options for the
packages directories (All 5 of them) are blank. This I believe forces
the project to use the environment settings (from 3.)
5. I then compiled and installed accordingly.
** I believe the Library paths are not used for the loaded BPL or DCP,
they are used for the =3Fworked on=3F stuff. **
**** I also did this, I moved the BPL and DCP files from c:\NMS
\NMSProgramming\Code\Bin and =3F\Code\Bin\DCP into $(DELPHI)\Projects\Bpl
and then I searched and replaced references for the files to point to
$(DELPHI)\Projects\Bpl everything worked. This means that the BPL or DCP
does not have specific references. Instead, they rely on Delphi=3Fs
settings. ***
--
G. Bradley MacDonald
bradley_AT_telus_DOT_net