Error message "operation not allowed on a unidirectional dataset"

2003-10-30 01:26:46 PM
delphi27
I get the above error message when using Delphi 7 with dbexpress to try to connect
to mysql. I do not know what operation the error message refers to. All I
am doing is using a select statement (select * from pt). I connect fine
using the Zeos connection controls. The error only occurs if the DataSource
control is connected to the dbexpress dataset control. How can I use
dbexpress in the place of the Zeos controls?
Thanks,
David

Re:Error message "operation not allowed on a unidirectional dataset"

When I try to preview I get the above error message; that is before
compiling and running. By ignoring the error message and running the
program the connection is fine. Is this a bug or am I missing a setting?
Using SimpleDataSet I do not get this error message and it works fine on
running the program also. I do not use ClientDataSet or DataSetProvider.
Also, I tried to follow your tutorial but the example was not installed when
I installed Delphi 7 (with interbase) and you say to "use the project options
dialog to make sure that data module is created" first which I could not
figure how to do. Why would I want to create the data module first?
Thanks,
David