"Operation Not Applicable" error

Using Borland C++ Builder.
When trying to filter a MySQL database table, I can filter a string
field just fine, but when I get to a date field, I receive a runtime
error (for more info, see bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=2468). This is
unfortunately an extremely common error, but as far as I know, there
has been no documented workaround, and the bug has been known for over
three years!!
My code looks something like this:
This works fine:
DataSource1->DataSet->Filter = "IDNUM>'90-12222'"; // varchar type
DataSource1->DataSet->Filtered = true;
...but this gives an "Operation Not Applicable" runtime error!
DataSource1->DataSet->Filter = "PAIDDATE>'2000-01-01'"; // date type
DataSource1->DataSet->Filtered = true;
I want to change the MySQL date format from "yyyy-mm-dd" to a more
Borland-friendly "mm/dd/yyyy", but I don't know how to do that!
I don't know where else to go from here. Please help!