Re: some interesting perspectives on .NET from the other camp ...

2005-02-10 06:59:05 AM
delphi105
Dennis Landi writes:
All those who rushed to market with MS (with no back up plan) are in
the same boat...
Well, I have no plans to recall my .Net app or my Delphi 7 apps.
--
David Farrell-Garcia
Whidbey Island Software LLC

Re: some interesting perspectives on .NET from the other camp ...

According to the author, he feels that MS is
not going to do any serious software development using .Net either.
Well, their new SQL server hosts its own .NET with whole pile
of .NET code. That does not seem to be non-serious
Kostya

Re: some interesting perspectives on .NET from the other camp ...

Lately I have learned that all too well. The UI for a product we
developed recently, in our (my business partners and my) opinion, truly
sucks. Why? Because it is what the customer wanted :-/
I've had totally different experience. Probably because of the large
distribution base and active feedback
Kostya

Re: some interesting perspectives on .NET from the other camp ...

"Kostya" wrote
>According to the author, he feels that MS is
>not going to do any serious software development using .Net either.

Well, their new SQL server hosts its own .NET with whole pile
of .NET code. That does not seem to be non-serious
It's very serious--anyone who thinks MS isn't committing to .NET should take
a hard look at what's happening with Yukon.
bobD

Re: some interesting perspectives on .NET from the other camp ...

It's very serious--anyone who thinks MS isn't committing to .NET should take
a hard look at what's happening with Yukon.
The good thing about MS so far that they do not shut the doors
to existing stuff very often so one can use their new
technologies at their own convenience when/if it makes
business sense.
Kostya

Re: some interesting perspectives on .NET from the other camp ...

Personally, I like OO programming but I am just not convinced it is the
"right way."
It is one of many existing paradigms and one does not
have to idolize it.
Kostya

"Michael Anonymous" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>a écrit dans le message de news:
XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Personally, I like OO programming but I am just not convinced it is the
"right way."
Hopefully, Windows developers will continue to have as much programming
freedom as developers have on Linux.
then you'd better stick with Delphi 'cos in C#, if it ain't OO, it ain't
code :-)
Not saying that it has to be good OO :-))
Joanna
Consultant Software Engineer
TeamBUG support for UK-BUG
TeamMM support for ModelMaker

Re: some interesting perspectives on .NET from the other camp ...

1. "I think that case insensitivity is juvenile..." I guess I'm
juvenile. He think it is juvenile, and I think case sensitivity is archaic.
Well, it is a perception thing. I can live without it, but in my Modula 2
days I believe case sensitivity contributed to writing some robust code.
2. "Semicolons and braces are not so difficult to get used to!"
Semicolons, I agree. Braces... I am used to typing them. it is reading
them that can be a pain in the neck.
Braces, as in the concept of blocking lines of code to provide that
structured look. Braces are the lazy coder's BEGIN/END of course.

Re: some interesting perspectives on .NET from the other camp ...

The main problem with VB.Net isn't centered on any of the changes made for
DotNet sake. There was no problem with crowded paradigms or crowded design.
The dev team (who don't use VB(Visual Basic) and are unfamiliar with it) decided to "clean
up" a couple of things and simply got carried away. It really is that
simple, and they'll tell you that. I have got some references on the subject
if needed.
Unfortunately, the result is the complete inability for folks to move their
apps from VBClassic to VB.Net. They say they're too far down the road to
change it, so here we are. it is been out 4 years now. They ain't gonna fix
it.
Dan
"Eric Grange" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>the idea that .net was designed primarily to retain
>masses of vbers is certainly a new idea to me !

That's not how I understood the articles, more like .Net was created
with (too) broad goals, but in the end the marketing requirement
of drawing VBers meant many VB(Visual Basic) paradigms ended up crowding the design
and its implementation, even though the goal of positionning VB.Net
as a straightforward VB(Visual Basic) successor was missed.

Eric

Re: some interesting perspectives on .NET from the other camp ...

In other words .Net is a toy, just like VB(Visual Basic) is.
Microsoft certainly considers VB(Visual Basic) a toy. There is a lot of serious stuff
done in VB, but not by the large masses of users.
Microsoft doesn't do any
serious development using VB.
Wanna guess what MS's new Antispyware product is developed in? (free clue:
MS didn't develop it)
Later,
Dan
"Wayne Sherman" <body1233 at yahoo dot com>writes
"Kyle A. Miller" <kyle#XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>Dave Nottage [TeamB] writes:
>>Care to quote which part you're referring to?
>
>"The framework has become Visual Basic..."

It makes more sense if you look at the whole sentence:

"The framework has become Visual Basic-it's intended for users to develop
applications, but not for Microsoft to create operating systems or the
revenue
generating products that they base their profits on."

In other words .Net is a toy, just like VB(Visual Basic) is. Microsoft doesn't do any
serious development using VB. According to the author, he feels that MS
is
not going to do any serious software development using .Net either.

Regards,

Wayne

Dan Barclay writes:
Wanna guess what MS's new Antispyware product is developed in?
VB6
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re: some interesting perspectives on .NET from the other camp ...

We have a winnah!
Some of us were wondering when they're going to convert it to VB.Net. And
how<g>.
Dan
"Dave Nottage [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
message news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...

Dan Barclay writes:
We have a winnah!

Some of us were wondering when they're going to convert it to VB.Net.
And how<g>.

Surely they'll just recompile it with the VB64 compiler and be done
with it <g>
--
QC Client: www.alphalink.com.au/~jed/QC/
Blog: jedqc.blogspot.com/

Re: some interesting perspectives on .NET from the other camp ...

A competent vendor could write his own scroll bar component and sell it.
really good Delphi-standard scrolling control are waiting to be made and
sold. Here is one I made recently:
ringtones.mobile.att.net/AwsPreview

Click on "Tones", and check out the scrolling control where it says "New
Tones".

That a custom control, but it could easily be improved and generized into
component and then SOLD, just like Delphi components.

I won't be able to get back to my own flash plans until May or June, but
make no mistake. The opportunity for component vendors in the Macromedia
community is the same as it was for the Delphi community in the D1/D2
days,
IOW, wide open.

The only difference is that there are several million more Flash
developers
now, then there ever were Delphites at the hey-day of Delphi.

But is Delphi threatened by Flash? Not one bit. Delphi back-ends
complement Delphi front-ends bueatifully.
But isn't this what Macromedia are already doing with the Flash/Cold Fusion
integration?
Lauchlan M

Re: some interesting perspectives on .NET from the other camp ...

"Lauchlan M" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>But is Delphi threatened by Flash? Not one bit. Delphi back-ends
>complement Delphi front-ends bueatifully.

But isn't this what Macromedia are already doing with the Flash/Cold
Fusion
integration?

Not really. Coldfusion is basically a Middle-tier layer, now. The original
ColdFusion was bought and transformed by Macromedia into a script engine
front end to their JRun J2EE back-end (which they also bought).
But coldfusion is not needed for backend connectivity to flash at all. The
AT&T Ringtones site I showed you is a Flash <>Javascript<>JBoss hybrid. And
although the Javascript middle layer is pretty nice (flexible! you could
swap out the Flash implementation and swap in a new one! without breaking
anything!), its (javascript) not at all necessary. Flash can talk to any
socket server backend, period. that is the key relevance to Delphi. High
performance Delphi socket servers become very relevant here. or Delphi/IIS,
Delphi ASP.NET, Kylix/Apache etc.
-d