--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com
Read my Blog -- www.lemanix.com/nick

Re:CodeFez Lives

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:

www.codefez.com/
Phew!
OK. Sarc^H^H^H^Irony aside, looks like some good articles there. Thanks.
--
Carl

Re:CodeFez Lives

Carl Caulkett writes:
looks like some good articles there. Thanks.
Plenty more where they came from. ;-)
--

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
Plenty more where they came from. ;-)
Is CodeFez planning on keeping your opinions to a minimum? Your partisan
journalistic style is a bit, um, irksome. I see nothing gained from the
rantings.
Admiral Windbag

Re:CodeFez Lives

Admiral Windbag writes:
Is CodeFez planning on keeping your opinions to a minimum?
Not at all. I will continue spewing my irksome, partisan opinions as
much as I like. ;-)
--

"Nick Hodges [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Carl Caulkett writes:

>looks like some good articles there. Thanks.

Plenty more where they came from. ;-)
... and it is a pity that they aren't going into the BDN.
Lino asks "Why did we create Codefez" and then supplies his own answer
(www.codefez.com/Default.aspx
"The truth is that I have been extremely fortunate to work with some of
the best Software Development tools for the last 14 years from Borland
Software Corporation and I felt it is time to give back to the community
that shaped my career by not only helping Borland but also by helping the
community worldwide with excellent articles, editorials, training,
consulting, products and most of all great people."
I wish you all the best of luck with your new enterprise, but it seems a
bit rich to be claiming to be giving back to Borland and it is community
by rounding up a bunch of the high profile authors and then heading off
into a separate community site, away from Borland and away from the BDN.
Wouldn't a better definition of giving back be to take that talent to
breathe some life back into the BDN, and to take some of that high
profile muscle to break down some of the bureaucracy and lack of resource
issues that seem to be {*word*89} it ?
Barry Mossman

Re:CodeFez Lives

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:

www.codefez.com/
Any plans for RSS?

Re:CodeFez Lives

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:

www.codefez.com/
This would be a perfect post for .thirdparty, wouldn't it ? <g>

Re:CodeFez Lives

Craig writes:
Any plans for RSS?
Should be all over the place.
--

Admiral Windbag writes:

>Is CodeFez planning on keeping your opinions to a minimum?

Not at all. I will continue spewing my irksome, partisan opinions as
much as I like. ;-)
That was a GREAT response!

Re:CodeFez Lives

"Barry Mossman" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
by rounding up a bunch of the high profile authors and then heading off
into a separate community site, away from Borland and away from the BDN.
BDN is good. CodeCentral is good. QC is good. But, I think it is quite
worthwhile to form a community *around* a company and its products, seperate
from the innermost circle of community which is, so to speak "owned" by the
company. BDN is owned by Borland, and as such has a bit different flavor
than an independant site. There is room for both.
--
[ Kyle Cordes * XXXX@XXXXX.COM * kylecordes.com ]
[ Better processes, better design, better software. Java, ]

Re:CodeFez Lives

Captain Jake writes:
That was a GREAT response!
;-)
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com
Read my Blog -- www.lemanix.com/nick

Re:CodeFez Lives

by rounding up a bunch of the high profile authors and then heading off
into a separate community site
Well, the authors were already rounded up - except for Nick, they all
worked for Falafel already :-)
Wouldn't a better definition of giving back be to take that talent to
breathe some life back into the BDN, and to take some of that high
profile muscle to break down some of the bureaucracy and lack of resource
issues that seem to be {*word*89} it ?
I don't know that any outside company should be getting involved in that
sort of thing, at least not without an invitation :-)
Also, Falafel can do things like this
www.codefez.com/Default.aspx
which don't necessarily fit well with the BDN philosophy.
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Falafel Software www.falafelsoft.co.uk

Re:CodeFez Lives

"Kyle Cordes" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
"Barry Mossman" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

>by rounding up a bunch of the high profile authors and then heading off
>into a separate community site, away from Borland and away from the BDN.

BDN is good. CodeCentral is good. QC is good. But, I think it is quite
worthwhile to form a community *around* a company and its products,
seperate
from the innermost circle of community which is, so to speak "owned" by
the
company. BDN is owned by Borland, and as such has a bit different flavor
than an independant site. There is room for both.

Having said that, I really don't consider the CodeFez effort to by *that*
independent of Borland. Not only is it staffed by former Borland Employees,
but it appears to also have close professional ties even now. As the same
people make up Falafel Software ( a Borland product training outfit); and so
much of its interests dove-tail with Borlands interests, I don't really
expect much of CodeFez's content to be particularly critical of Borland.
Dunno, at first Blush I'd lump CodeFez in the same "polictical" camp as
TeamB, Dr. Bob and all the other "training" organizations out there that
depend on Borland for work....
Its always a good idea to consider the interests of any entity in order to
figure out that entity's agenda.
But.... that is OK. I hope lots of content is generated and published
through CodeFez. In order for a community to survive, SOMETHING HAS TO
HAPPEN AND SOMEBODY HAS TO DO SOMETHING. The fact that such activity has to
have an economic/commercial impetus is the only way anything survives in the
U.S.A. In this case, I think we see a Training organization marketing
itself, in a very creative and effective way.
I hope they have a beneficial effect on the community. It won't save
Borland all by itself, but every little bit helps...
-d

Re:CodeFez Lives

"Dennis Landi" wrote

Its always a good idea to consider the interests of any entity in order to
figure out that entity's agenda.
I agree. But you seem to have missed that Falafel trains VS as well as
Borland tools. And that Lino is now a Microsoft MVP for "his many
contributions to the C# worldwide communities." Hardly a Borland drone.
bobD