Re: XP Support in Delphi

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
I've been planning on doing more episodes but ran into some
incidental snages. I think I can do another C#B one this week if
everything else goes smoothly.
Look forward to them!
These videos are just great!
--
Ingvar Nilsen

Re: XP Support in Delphi

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
These videos are just great!
Tx. Will really work on getting at least one done this week.
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
$1280/$50K: homepages.borland.com/jkaster/tnt/thanks.html

Re: XP Support in Delphi

David Erbas-White <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, wrote these words of
incredible wisdom:
>Well, money poured into Kylix is money wasted.
>I am glad that Borland are focussing on putting out new products.
Can someone give me the short version? Has Kylix been dumped, or what
are you referring to?
No, Borland are comitted to supporting Kylix.
It is being sold at ever lower prices.
However, it has been a non-event in the Linux world.
It is buggy and fails to install on current distributions, ( Redhat,
Suse , Mandrake etc ) .
Have a look in any of the Kylix newsgroups to see the litany of
complaints.
In any case, releasing a Pascal based tool into a community that has
traditionally been C++/C oriented was not a bright move.

Re: XP Support in Delphi

"F.F" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Unfortunately, some of us have learned to ignore any statements with a
TeamB suffix. They are handled by the same filters that weed out the
marketing hype.
And others of us have learned to ignore comments from posters who hide
behind anonymous signatures.
Dave White

Re: XP Support in Delphi

In reality though, Borland Delphi 7 is little more than Delphi 6 with a few VCL
hacks to get the components displaying correctly. Many components don't even
look XP-ified, for example the DB and StringGrid components.
"Paul" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes news:3f48692c$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Delphi 7 new features - from Borland site:

---
"New! Windows XPT Themes
Enable applications to take part of Windows XP Themes with a look that will
blend in with
your favorite Windows XP theme
Take full advantage of the new Windows XP look for the Windows?common
controls library
(comctrls.dll version 6.0)"
---

>Does Delphi 7 support Win XP (not will it 'run' on XP, does it support
>the extra 'features' of XP)?
>
>If not, has anyone heard Borland make any commitment to XP support,
>either for a service pack for Delphi 7, or as something that will be
>added for Delphi 8?
>
>David Erbas-White

Re: XP Support in Delphi

I logged this in QC (3850) some time ago. After waiting, and waiting for a
patch, I contacted Borland UK. Their response was that this was "not a bug",
as "theming support is taking over drawing of the controls and preventing
VCL from doing its normal drawing". In what respect isn't it a bug?
I've had to go through all my frames and try to work around this problem by
changing TLabels to TStaticText. I have also had to change some of my own
TGraphicControl descendants to TWinControl descendants just to fix this.
This has cost me several days to fix, work I shouldn't have had to do.
I've been a Delphi evangelist since v1. I won't be buying Delphi 8.
"Dave Nottage (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Dr Sigmund Mohammad writes:
>I do have Windows XP Professional. Here are the steps to turn on a
>theme that causes the error on both my test machines:
>
>Right click desktop ->Properties ->Appearance Tab
>
>Windows and Buttons: Windows XP Style
>
>Colour Scheme: Any, but blue is the nicest
>
>Font size: tested with Normal
>
>Try re-running the binary now. It should fail.

That was it. Can you please update the report (if you havent already)?

I'll have a snoop around later to see what's happening, and update the
report.

--
Dave Nottage (TeamB)

Re: XP Support in Delphi

Rolf Frei writes:
John your XP manifest demonstration isn't that good.
I thought it was acceptable for the timeframe alloted.
not correctly look with an manifest under an older Delphi version. This is
only a tip.
Tx. If we ever do a BDNtv episode specifically for XP theming, may do this.

Re: XP Support in Delphi

John Edward Scott writes:
However it seems with the latest releases from Borland they want to
prove me wrong and give me big hurdles to jump to solve what should
be a relatively straightforward issue for them to resolve.
A fault apparently occurring in *one theme* only should be easy to resolve?
Feel free to take a shot at it. I haven't yet.
--
Dave Nottage (TeamB)

Re: XP Support in Delphi

With respect Dave, I did say *relatively straightforward* given the
resources available to Borland, plus that is what the wonderful world of bug
fixing/problem resolving is all about...tracking down that elusively
*something* that makes the code not quite do whats expected.
I'd love to take up the challenge, however bugs in my own code currently
prevent me having the time to investigate other peoples!
John.

John Edward Scott writes:
With respect Dave, I did say *relatively straightforward* given the
resources available to Borland, plus that is what the wonderful world
of bug fixing/problem resolving is all about...tracking down that
elusively *something* that makes the code not quite do whats expected.
Indeed <g>
I'd love to take up the challenge, however bugs in my own code
currently prevent me having the time to investigate other peoples!
FWIW, if this bug was affecting me, I would count it as my own so I would have more
motivation to investigate it. My customers aren't concerned with whose bug
it is; they're only concerned with having it fixed.
Where I don't have access to the source I'd still own the problem, it
would just be that I would be hitting the people responsible, or finding another
solution.
--
Dave Nottage (TeamB)

Re: XP Support in Delphi

Replies inline -
John Edward Scott writes:
>With respect Dave, I did say *relatively straightforward* given the
>resources available to Borland, plus that is what the wonderful world
>of bug fixing/problem resolving is all about...tracking down that
>elusively *something* that makes the code not quite do whats expected.

Indeed <g>

>I'd love to take up the challenge, however bugs in my own code
>currently prevent me having the time to investigate other peoples!

FWIW, if this bug was affecting me, I would count it as my own so I would have
more
motivation to investigate it. My customers aren't concerned with whose bug
it is; they're only concerned with having it fixed.

Ahhhh....so its not just my customers then? <g>
Where I don't have access to the source I'd still own the problem, it
would just be that I would be hitting the people responsible, or finding
another
solution.

--
Dave Nottage (TeamB)

Very true and you're quite right that sometimes saying "the bugs in
something other than the code I wrote" doesn't always cut the mustard, I
have to say that the majority of the time I have been working for somebody
else (i.e nameless corporation) that when faced with a problem like that
their response is usually "find the fastest workaround", I never actually
had the luxury of having a boss who told me "take all the time you need,
just fix the bug".
Thankfully when you do things for yourself and set your own deadlines etc,
thats a different matter! However I am probably drifting off-topic.
John.

Re: XP Support in Delphi

In article <3f4be5a5$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, XXXX@XXXXX.COM
says...
Ingvar Nilsen writes:
>These videos are just great!

Tx. Will really work on getting at least one done this week.

John:
For whatever reason, the video stops running after about 10 seconds.
It's bit longer than that isn't it? <g>
info.borland.com/media/shockwave/d7_webservice_xp_themes.html
Look forward to more of these.
--
Craig Clemans
Ledger Accounting Software

Re: XP Support in Delphi

C Clemans writes:
For whatever reason, the video stops running after about 10 seconds.
It's bit longer than that isn't it? <g>
Did you forget to pay your TV licence?
--
Ingvar Nilsen

Re: XP Support in Delphi

C Clemans writes:
For whatever reason, the video stops running after about 10 seconds.
I've noticed Flash do that before. restarting it usually works for me.
Could you try that?
Look forward to more of these.
Tx, me too!
--

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
C Clemans writes:

>For whatever reason, the video stops running after about 10
>seconds.>It's bit longer than that isn't it? <g>
Did you forget to pay your TV licence?
You mean it is like a pay phone? <g>