Parameters in ADO component in Delphi 6

I have an ado query component that contains a parameter. I want to assign a
test value within the object inspector. My datatype is "ftString", the
Direction is "pdInput". The field precision and size are both 8. When I
click on the Value property, I enter 20030815. The type associated with the
value automatically changes from null to OleStr. I can see a dropdown box
of other types, but am not allowed to choose the string type.
When I open the query, I get an "option value changed" message.
I think this is related to the OleStr not being a valid type for my odbc
driver.
If I use a hardcoded value in the sql statement rather than the parameter
substitution, this component opens up without the error.
Possible other factors are: Using MDAC 2.7 and Windows XP.
Thanks Again in Advance!
Debbie Erickson