Re: betfair.com like site

2005-05-20 05:17:52 AM
delphi211
At 23:09:53, 19.05.2005, eshipman writes:
I suppose you use all absolute urls, too? If you use relative URLs
sometimes it can not find the links if you run from file:///
I only use relative links, and I use the same directory structure as on
the server. See for yourself. The link is in my sig.
Updating is just copying the modified files over.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"Men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all the other

Re: betfair.com like site

"Charles Line"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM
t>wrote in news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM:
They aren't. Have you read the guidelines? They are NOT difficult to
implement. Awkward, yes. Difficult? No.

Anyway, we're never going to agree on this. Time will tell.
I never said Braille was a requiremetn - I was proposing an example.
Obviously you missed the part about my mother being blind. Im very familiar
with the requirements as well as goverments stupidity. Often after they do
something (computer related or not) they just make the situation worse.
Blog: blogs.atozed.com/kudzu

Re: betfair.com like site

"Charles Line"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
wrote in news:428b8625$XXXX@XXXXX.COM:
"Not here, and I have never heard of such. Check your security level."

Your first response was to advise someone to check that there was nothing
wrong with their computer because *you* hadn't experienced it. The buzz
about this "issue" has been all over the JavaScript and Web Developer
newsgroups for ages now.

Why can you not accept that there is a very substantial world outside your
window?
Oh sure. If I didnt head up a product team that shipped to tens of thousands
of developers - a WEB product at that.
After all, its not like I have persepective or feedback from developers on
web development. Very few users run web apps in FILE mode, which is what
causes the issue apparently.
Blog: blogs.atozed.com/kudzu

Re: betfair.com like site

"Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in news:xn0e2fwi2bg2q700l-
velthuis@www.teamb.com:
I have Apache installed, to test my clinic site, but my Delphi site is
plain HTML, with JavaScript for the menus. I don't see why I should set
up a server for it. I simply click on one of the .html files to test them.
I agree with Eddie, its best to mimic your server and use a local server.
Will save you headaches in the long run, and this is why most developers dont
test using files. As to whether or not you can - well thats your choice. I
dont see any reason to block it, but I do understand why MS has made the
choice.
Blog: blogs.atozed.com/kudzu

Re: betfair.com like site

At 10:54:47, 05.06.2005, Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu writes:
"Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
news:xn0e2fwi2bg2q700l- velthuis@www.teamb.com:
>I have Apache installed, to test my clinic site, but my Delphi site is
>plain HTML, with JavaScript for the menus. I don't see why I should
>set up a server for it. I simply click on one of the .html files to
>test them.

I agree with Eddie, its best to mimic your server and use a local
server.
That is what I do with my clinic site, but it is IMO not necessary for a
plain (X)HTML site, without any server-side dynamics.
As long as the directory structure is the same, and I always use
lowercase file names only, this works quite well, and is a lot easier. I
can simply open the directory and click a file to test (or edit) it.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,

Re: betfair.com like site

At 11:44:29, 05.06.2005, Charles Line writes:
And you've also taken the time and effort to get your pages to conform
to W3C standards - good one.
That's because I do it for fun, and any serious hobbyist has the ambition
to do it right. I am not under any stress or deadline either. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Re: betfair.com like site

"Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]"
As long as the directory structure is the same, and I always use
lowercase file names only, this works quite well, and is a lot easier. I
can simply open the directory and click a file to test (or edit) it.
Absolutely.
And you've also taken the time and effort to get your pages to conform to
W3C standards - good one.
It's a shame others don't show such attention to detail.

Re: betfair.com like site

"Uwe" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in news:428bbbf4$XXXX@XXXXX.COM:
In most cases Javascript is simply not necessary because you can achieve
the same result with other techniques - especially for complex sites.
I find that quite interesting. Take any IntraWeb 4.0 demo - ANY one and lets
see you try that without Javascript.
The alternative is of course simpler intefaces --- for pages thats ok, but
not for many application requirements. For many applicatinos that like saying
no Windows, lets just stick to console mode.
Blog: blogs.atozed.com/kudzu

Re: betfair.com like site

Chad
I find that quite interesting. Take any IntraWeb 4.0 demo - ANY one and
lets
see you try that without Javascript.
Have you EVER heard of other scripting languages? Obviously not ... ;-)
Ciao
Uwe

Re: betfair.com like site

"Uwe" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in news:42a7bd26$XXXX@XXXXX.COM:
Have you EVER heard of other scripting languages? Obviously not ... ;-)
Client side - only JS is a reality. Without JS - you are not going to be able
to meet the requirements of many applications.
Blog: blogs.atozed.com/kudzu